Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water in boot

Dave 1981

This has prob been asked before but just found out my 06 MK2 3 door is leakin water into the boot. It's coming from behind the light cluster grill that u pop out when changing bulbs. I've had both rear light clusters out but the drivers side is the worst. Sealed the round the foam seal they come with. No joy. Had the boot seal off and it looks fine no tears or owt.. and under it is dry so doubt it's leaking via the boot seal. 

Anyone have owt similar? And if so what was the fix.

Does this only happen when you wash the car or when it rains? Is the car parked on the level? Does the rear washer work and does the ingress of water have a smell or colour to it (screen wash etc)?

My next move would be to see if the leak was higher up than the rear lights so try stuffing some paper towel in the void above the light clusters and if they get wet then I would be looking higher up. Also check that the rubber grommet that houses the wiring loom (top left hand side near top hinge) is not split or loose from the bodywork and that the pipe has not become disconnected.

I know you said you sealed the light clusters but you can never be 100% sure, the use of new seals would go a long way of achieving that.

Let us know how you get on. There's "nowt worse" than leaks or rattles! 

• Like 1

Only when it seems to rain. It happens if it's parked on the flat or on a hill. It is Def clear water and not screen wash. The rear washer works fine tho.. Ill check the rubber grommet for the wiring as not looked at that yet. And when weather improves I'll prob remove some trim to try and trace it.  As for new seals for rear lights I dread to think how much they'll be but might invest in a pair. 

Thanks.

Does it happen facing up the hill, facing down or either way?

Mainly facing down hill. 

Well had the boot stripped earlier. Spare wheel well was almost 1/4 full of water!! Drained it an cleaned and dried it. Took side trim panels off and it seems to be coming down from the top and round the boot latch. The boot seal does seem distorted. Got new one ordered from my Toyota dealer. £95+ vat and new light cluster seals, £42 Inc vat for the pair. 

Here Tuesday.

• Like 1

Well new boot hatch seal and light cluster seals arrived. Fitted.. and it still leaks! I'm starting to tear what little hair I have left out now. 

Seems to be coming down the seam where body panels are welded behind the lights..but I can't for the life of me trace the origin.  

Don't wanna start using sealant with the new seals if I can avoid it.. 

I had a very similar problem on a Mazda 6.  I used a digital camera with 'macro' and 'flash' enabled.  When I looked at the images of the seam blown-up, I spotted a pinhole in the seam mastic that you couldn't see normally.   I had spent hours looking for that leak (which was behind the light, coincidentally).

Just sayin'!

• Like 1

High level brake light or rear washer?

This problem is pretty common on Auris. I stripped all the plastic out, and got someone to pour water with the hose around the light.

You can then spot it pretty easily. In my case water was going around the light, then inside the bumper, and somewhere between the bumper and the bodywork, it got inside between the seams, and poured in, you can see the seam on the picture below.

When you check the inside, you can see the silicone being applied pretty liberal around the whole boot area, but this part was missed, so i added a long bead, and no water ever since.

Above the seam is the access hole for the light cluster. on this picture, far right side.

image.thumb.png.564e8dd7ed4c51994e8995cee3ed5c12.png

• Like 1

It's Def not the high level brake light. Cud be the seal for the rear washer pipe.. it does rotate, however it's not washer fluid that's leakin. I'm gonna have to strip the inside trim and act be in the car and get someone to hose it down from Outside I think to locate it.. 

It will be the high level brake light seal. I had a wet boot on mine and I didn't fancy messing around with sealant,so I bought a complete unit with a, supposedly, upgraded seal as you can't get the seal on its own. No more wet boot 😀Also try putting a bit of sealant around the 2 little stops at the corners of the boot as they can, sometimes, be the culprits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you say the 2 little stops at the corner of the boot what exactly do you mean? I'll pull the high level light tomorrow and check it but part of me is thinking how can it be the light as it's mounted inside/behind the rear window and the water seems to be running down the rear pillars above the light cut outs along the seams of the body, but saying that water tends to find the smallest gap..

I'll try any suggestions so fingers 🤞

Just strip down the plastic, open the back seats and sit down in the boot. 

Give someone outside 1 or 2 2L bottles full of water to pour around the lights, and you will find the issue in no time.

• Like 1

I know. Just a pain sitting in back bein I'm 6ft 2 n it's a 3door lol

Throw a neighbours kid in there, or 2. I actually opened the back door, and put some stuff, lied down. It's a bit hard to move around, but saves time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'll get neighbor to pour water over back when I've stripped it and I'm In the back.. hopin I'll find it quick. It's more an annoyance than owt but I won't rest til I find it and stop it! 

My first Avensis 03 model had dreadful leaks into the boot. After lots of time spent tracing the leaks and looking at light seals, vents, boot seal(hatchback) and everything it turned out to be the welded joints low down each side of the hatch. The welds had not cracked but were leaking. I fixed it with a "creeping crack sealant" Captain Tolleys Seam Sealant. You apply it and it seeps into the seams by capilliar action and then sets hard. Worked totally. It may not be your problem but it is worth thinking about it from this angle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think I've found it. Had friend pour water over back end when I'm sat in back with insides stripped, can see the water coming from between the inner and outer rear panels. Traced it to the top of the car, the weather strips that run in the roof gutters.. at the back of the car both sides, is a small crack in the joint where the roof meets the rear panel. Dried it all. Ran water over it and it came out round the inside of the lights.. gonna take the weather strips off and clean it all up and reseal.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2019 at 11:28 AM, Dave 1981 said:

Think I've found it. Had friend pour water over back end when I'm sat in back with insides stripped, can see the water coming from between the inner and outer rear panels. Traced it to the top of the car, the weather strips that run in the roof gutters.. at the back of the car both sides, is a small crack in the joint where the roof meets the rear panel. Dried it all. Ran water over it and it came out round the inside of the lights.. gonna take the weather strips off and clean it all up and reseal.. 

Any updates Dave, did you manage to get it sorted?

Sorry for the lack of updates, sealing those 2 hair line cracks in the roof gutter has cured it. The water was getting past and goin down between the 2 body panels and coming out where the light cluster sits, hence me thinking it was the seals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update David, always appreciated.

Were the hairline cracks on either side or just on one? Also where about exactly were there and what did you use to seal them,oh, and did you take any pictures? Sorry for all the questions but I'm sure someone will find this info useful in the future as it's what makes forums a great source of information.

Thanks once again for taking the time to post.

• Like 1

Both sides, rear of the roof gutter where the seam weld is that is Visable when the boot is open. I used sikaflex 512 sealant.. wasn't cheap at £14 a tube but it's worked a treat.. no pics I'm afraid but I'll look at tryin to get one took next few days.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1