Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2019 X-Clusiv Pre-Collision test

CollieWobbles

Hiya, new owner here (been lurking a bit).

Any idea of a safe way to test to see if my pre-collision detection works? 🤣
Do I just have to trust it's a-okay?

Thanks in advance! 💜
- A

If you tested it, it doesn't work, and you hit something, how would you explain the damage to your insurer? Certainly be classed as your fault in any event.

Just assume it works.

Wondering if I could drive on an empty road and have a friend throw a soft ball at the sensors?

I dunno, there's this niggling thing in my head that doesn't trust things unless I see them working.

Use some cardboard boxes with tin foil on them so they reflect the signal back, worth a try!

As far as I'm aware, the pre collision system uses a camera and laser to detect potential issues, rather than sensors. The camera is mounted behind the rear view mirror.

toyota-safety-sense-pcs_tcm-3060-1372347

47 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, the pre collision system uses a camera and laser to detect potential issues, rather than sensors. The camera is mounted behind the rear view mirror.

toyota-safety-sense-pcs_tcm-3060-1372347

If you used some large packing boxes I would think the system would detect it and think it was a wall, maybe.

13 minutes ago, Sidrat said:

If you used some large packing boxes I would think the system would detect it and think it was a wall, maybe.

Maybe.

However, when the possibility of a collision is detected the driver is alerted with audio and visual warnings and brake assistance activated. If the driver fails to brake in time the brakes automatically engage to prevent or mitigate a collision. 

So the system cannot guarantee that a collision would be avoided, but may lessen the severity of impact. So even with large packing cases, the car may still hit them and possibly be damaged.

I would just drive normally tbh and brake with as fast reactions as you can. I would never rely on any technology to do emergency braking for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Maybe.

However, when the possibility of a collision is detected the driver is alerted with audio and visual warnings and brake assistance activated. If the driver fails to brake in time the brakes automatically engage to prevent or mitigate a collision. 

So the system cannot guarantee that a collision would be avoided, but may lessen the severity of impact. So even with large packing cases, the car may still hit them and possibly be damaged.

I seem to remember an occasion where Volvo? were proudly showing theirs off to press etc. but it unfortunately didn't work as expected & ran into the back of the vehicle that was meant to stop it (well, it did - but not as anticipated 😛 ).

This one?

• Haha 1

Hopefully I'll never need to actually find out if the system works or not. 😉

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links