Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Hybrid Media System

Chattacks

It will be interesting to see when the so called update that a lot of motoring journalists have been talked about for Toyota happens. There has been talk of android auto coming to cars via a software update in 2019. I will be following this closely. That being said the fact that I cannot even select the Corolla's system from MyToyota to register it so I can download eApps says alot....

As far as I'm aware, the Corolla has the Touch 2 multimedia system, which has been out since around 2015 - so should be on MyToyota.

55 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, the Corolla has the Touch 2 multimedia system, which has been out since around 2015 - so should be on MyToyota.

On MyToyota the pictures didnt match up to what it looks like in car but after your comment I found this:

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/explore-the-new-2019-toyota-corolla-comfort-and-technology

and its Touch2 with Go, so thanks 🙂

4 hours ago, Chattacks said:

It will be interesting to see when the so called update that a lot of motoring journalists have been talked about for Toyota happens. There has been talk of android auto coming to cars via a software update in 2019. I will be following this closely. That being said the fact that I cannot even select the Corolla's system from MyToyota to register it so I can download eApps says alot....

I suppose it'd be nice but the system works well as it is. I only know of one bug (the audio has to be manually turned on and my iPod selected every time I start the car). I managed to register my system although it is a bit fiddly. It's not helped by the stupid on screen keyboard that Toyota gives us. Seriously - what numbnut makes the default mode 'letters and numbers only'? Typing an email address, a decent password and wifi key (or a postcode!) is torture. I don't think I can call that a bug but it's pretty damn' stupid.

Lol, this appears to be an older version. And that at least has '.' and ','. The new version has nothing expect letters and numbers and space.

Hi,

I've tested the Corolla Touring Sports 2.0 hybrid and although many people say that they can connect their iphones to the car I don't see any Entune app at the Apple store. I've enabled Carplay at the iPhone 6s but when I touched the speaker on steering wheel they didn't pair. But it was the first time I ever tried this on a totally unknown car with limited time to explore it... chances that I did something wrong are over 90%...

Does anyone ever tested or uses Apple CarPlay with a 2019 Corolla?

The Corolla does not yet support either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. As the first post says there is supposedly an update coming that will address this. For now you connect your phone as a generic bluetooth device.

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

The Corolla does not yet support either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. As the first post says there is supposedly an update coming that will address this. For now you connect your phone as a generic Bluetooth device.

In the US it looks that already supports Apple CarPlay so it may not take long to have it in Europe. As a "generic bluetooth device" I guess we can't use Maps, Waze or similar navigation apps, right?

2 hours ago, JoaoM said:

In the US it looks that already supports Apple CarPlay so it may not take long to have it in Europe. As a "generic Bluetooth device" I guess we can't use Maps, Waze or similar navigation apps, right?

The head unit claims to support MirrorLink but I think that's Android only. You should be able to have the voice instructions come over the car's Speakers at least - that's what I did with my Honda although I also played music over bluetooth when using my phone for satellite navigation. If you want to listen to a different audio source it probably won't work.

3 hours ago, JoaoM said:

In the US it looks that already supports Apple CarPlay so it may not take long to have it in Europe. 

Entune & Touch 2 are very different infotainment systems made by different manufacturers so you can not infer from 1 about the other.

Toyota UK say that they are working on CarPlay but seem less forthcoming on Android Auto which also seems to be similar in N. America where CarPlay is available for Entune but Android Auto not yet. Having said that Google are working on a heavily revised Android Auto that is due for release later this summer so maybe that is what Toyota are working towards (it would make sense to support what is coming rater than what is about to be dropped).

I tought that Touch 2 was the name of the infotainment system and Entune the name of the app suite. It looks that I was completly wrong. Let's wait and hope that it's possible to update it. I don't want to pay an extra 1074€ (over 920£) to add a navigation system that will be outdated in 2-3 years...

Not sure the assumption that Android Auto will be just a software update may be correct. For example, in the case of the 2018 Aygo, the touchscreen multimedia unit that has Android Auto, although a different system to Touch 2, has additional hardware (speech button) to the non Android Auto touchscreen unit.

People will just have to wait to see whether, or if, Toyota does introduce Android Auto/Carplay.

9 hours ago, JoaoM said:

I tought that Touch 2 was the name of the infotainment system and Entune the name of the app suite. It looks that I was completly wrong. Let's wait and hope that it's possible to update it. I don't want to pay an extra 1074€ (over 920£) to add a navigation system that will be outdated in 2-3 years...

Outdated in what sense? You should get annual updates at your service (or you can do it for yourself) for free for three years and then for as long as you care to pay for them. Admittedly using your phone is a far cheaper option.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:32 AM, AndrueC said:

Outdated in what sense? You should get annual updates at your service (or you can do it for yourself) for free for three years and then for as long as you care to pay for them. Admittedly using your phone is a far cheaper option.

Outdated because if we want to update maps we'll have to pay for it every 2 or 3 years while you can have it for free on your smartphone. I've spoked with a local dealer and they've told me that while they're still waiting for carPlay, android auto is ready to go with a trick. When I have the car I'll try it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2019 at 8:32 AM, AndrueC said:

Andrue, does this include map updates?  I see on MyToyota that a three year map care pack is £119, admittedly it includes other things like real time traffic and speed cameras!

On new Toyotas one gets three years of free (map) updates. After the three years, updates are charged for. 

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

On new Toyotas one gets three years of free (map) updates. After the three years, updates are charged for. 

Thanks for that Mike, my dealership never told me that!

57 minutes ago, Sidrat said:

Andrue, does this include map updates?  I see on MyToyota that a three year map care pack is £119, admittedly it includes other things like real time traffic and speed cameras!

Still quite a lot more expensive than using a phone though 😕

To be clear I only have the Sat Nav because it came with the trim level I wanted. Given a choice I'd have preferred a slightly cheaper car. Go does the job but it's hardly class leading 😕

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Go does the job but it's hardly class leading 😕

Having read reviews of quite a few car manufacturers' infotainment/satnavs it seems to be middle-ground - better than some but not as good as others (the best seems to be generally regarded as BMW). It's also middling price though for an oem installation.

As you say it does the job particularly if people take the time to actually explore it & learn where things are/how to use it.

2 hours ago, Chattacks said:

To follow up my initial comment regarding android auto...

https://www.caradvice.com.au/754127/toyota-apple-carplay-android-auto/

but what infotainment system do Australian Toyotas use - Entune, Touch 2 or perhaps yet another system?

edit: some quick Googling suggests Entune

Thats a real shame if due to different systems the UK doesnt get android auto. Even though the car comes with navigation I have no interest in using it, i prefer Waze as my app of choice. Its not the end of the world I suppose as I just have to keep looking down now and again near the gear shift lever where I keep my phone. Whilst Toyota make great cars that are economic and reliable (hence my purchase!) its a bit of a let down they are behind the curve with in car entertainment systems.

48 minutes ago, Chattacks said:

Whilst Toyota make great cars that are economic and reliable (hence my purchase!) its a bit of a let down they are behind the curve with in car entertainment systems.

Having come from Honda and seen other systems I don't think Toyota are particularly behind the curve. I'm a computer programmer and have long disparaged 'hardware manufacturers' for the apparent disdain with which they view software. So far I'd say that Toyota's Entune is one of the better systems as is the general use and implementation of technology in the vehicle. At least it feels integrated whereas Honda's always felt a little bodged together (to say nothing of the horrendous issues early owners of their latest Jazz went through for six months).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:19 AM, Chattacks said:

Thats a real shame if due to different systems the UK doesnt get android auto. Even though the car comes with navigation I have no interest in using it, i prefer Waze as my app of choice. Its not the end of the world I suppose as I just have to keep looking down now and again near the gear shift lever where I keep my phone. Whilst Toyota make great cars that are economic and reliable (hence my purchase!) its a bit of a let down they are behind the curve with in car entertainment systems.

Have you tried the MirrorLink option that AndrueC mentioned above? I'm hoping that can mirror the Android phone screen including Waze onto the car's screen. There's a youtube video of someone playing videos from their phone on their C-HRs screen using this technology so I think it should work with the Corolla too.

On 5/26/2019 at 8:17 PM, myriagon said:

Have you tried the MirrorLink option that AndrueC mentioned above? I'm hoping that can mirror the Android phone screen including Waze onto the car's screen. There's a youtube video of someone playing videos from their phone on their C-HRs screen using this technology so I think it should work with the Corolla too.

I have tried mirror link but as soon as you begin to drive it disables it saying the car is in motion. So its either disabled to stop people using their phones while driving (watching videos etc) or looking at it like a cynic stop use of the navigation etc on phones. Again another really bizarre thing why have the option of mirror link only when the car is stationary...pretty useless in my opinion!

There's lots I love about my new Toyota but then things like the above not so much 😕

I did actually provide this feedback in the survey I got from Toyota after buying the car and I hope they take notice of these sorts of things so at least future owners or owners of other models in their range get some sensible features and benefits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chattacks said:

I have tried mirror link but as soon as you begin to drive it disables it saying the car is in motion. So its either disabled to stop people using their phones while driving (watching videos etc) or looking at it like a cynic stop use of the navigation etc on phones. Again another really bizarre thing why have the option of mirror link only when the car is stationary...pretty useless in my opinion!

There's lots I love about my new Toyota but then things like the above not so much 😕

I did actually provide this feedback in the survey I got from Toyota after buying the car and I hope they take notice of these sorts of things so at least future owners or owners of other models in their range get some sensible features and benefits.

Thanks - that's disappointing. So technically it's possible but there will be a line of code in the software that's stopping it. I wonder if Toyota have nobbled mirror link as they have legal concerns over someone watching a video and having an accident?