Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling/tapping sound when the engine is on low rpm under laod

George9955

New here!

I have a Toyota IQ 2009 with 1L VVTi automatic transmission. The engine (it seems) is making a rattlish sound at around 1200 rpm. This happens when slight throttle is applied and is under load.

I am running 98 fuel and would like to know whether it is normal and if not, what may be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

I have just bought a 2009 IQ that has a similar problem. I think it's probably normal for the car's 3 cylinder engine to vibrate at low revs under load but this rattle is annoying. I had the exhaust and engine mounts checked and apparently no issues found. It looks like it's easy enough to remove the exhaust heat shield without damaging it so I was thinking of removing it to see if it makes a difference. At least then I'll know whether it needs fixing better somehow when I refit it 

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that when you turn off the ECO mode, the rattle/tapping sound goes away

• 4 months later...

It's just the nature of a 3cyl engine. Every car i've driven with this engine (1.0, Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, and an Aygo) all exhibit the same thing. That point in the rev range is just the frequency in which it rattles most.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I know this is a (very) longshot, given it has been 4 years, but did anyone get to the bottom of this please?

I think its normal for the 1.0L engine. On almost all speeds de CVT goes down to about 1200rpm and then it vibrates a bit. It is less when the engine is fully warmed up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you Dutchrav. However, I am almost certain the deep-tapping/graunching noise I am hearing is not a characteristic of the engine nor any other part of the car (and mine is a manual gearbox).

I wish I could post a video from Facebook on here as someone in the UK owner's club has a very similar noise which turned out to be a loose exhaust mounting. However, in my case, both the heatshield and all three exhaust mounts seem to be firmly attached. Also his makes the noise at idle and mine only makes it at around 1100rpm under load. It sounds a bit like a big diesel engine being laboured and doesn't happen all of time it hits 1100rpm. If the clutch pedal is pressed, it stops.  I don't have much of a 2000rpm vibration to speak of either.

I will check all of the nuts on the heatshield are tight, then the heatshields on the catalytic converter and finally the subframe (as there is evidence this car has probably had a clutch replacement in the past).

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2023 at 9:04 PM, 74hct04 said:

Thank you Dutchrav. However, I am almost certain the deep-tapping/graunching noise I am hearing is not a characteristic of the engine nor any other part of the car (and mine is a manual gearbox).

I wish I could post a video from Facebook on here as someone in the UK owner's club has a very similar noise which turned out to be a loose exhaust mounting. However, in my case, both the heatshield and all three exhaust mounts seem to be firmly attached. Also his makes the noise at idle and mine only makes it at around 1100rpm under load. It sounds a bit like a big diesel engine being laboured and doesn't happen all of time it hits 1100rpm. If the clutch pedal is pressed, it stops.  I don't have much of a 2000rpm vibration to speak of either.

I will check all of the nuts on the heatshield are tight, then the heatshields on the catalytic converter and finally the subframe (as there is evidence this car has probably had a clutch replacement in the past).

I have a 2005 Aygo 1.0 with 120k miles just bought 1 week ago, same thing, the car vibrates like crazy  at around 1200-1500rpm especially when going down in rpm, when accelerating it's a bit less bad but still there, everything seems to shake especially the door, so im guessing it's not the exhaust? 
Im gonna be changing spark plugs, oil+ filter and air filter just to be sure it's none of those when it stops raining
Did you fix the issue by any chance?
I've read on multiple sites that it can be so many things, from sparks , coils,bad air intake, bad sensors (2 types i forgot their names) ,bad fuel filter / pump, worn out clutch and someting about clutch resonating at that rpm (bulls1ht ?? idk) , so much stuff that can be wrong, i just hope you fixed yours and tell me what it might be , cheers 😃

• Like 1

Sorry to dissapoint you Tebra, but I have not fixed the issue yet.  All I've done since my last post is to check various 'key' fastners and heat-shields are tight. The exhaust heat shield is a little bit questionable if I tap on it in just the right place with my fingers, but I doubt that it is my problem. (Once we have a run of warmer, dryer weather, I will re-investigate).

I will keep this thread when/if I do get to the bottom of this.

Again, sorry I can't be of more help.

• Like 1

Nah, every bit of info helps, unforutantely i found leaks in my boot ... gonna have to fix that when it stops raining, seems to be coming out of the stop lights, should've done research before buying the car, cause there was no carpet when i bought it, all the clips that holy the side "rugs" in the place are missing, and right passenger seat has a big stain... so it's gonna be a fix after fix after fix,i just hope if i fix everyhting properly that the engine is acutally gonna last, the problem is I start working soon and rain is messing with me + today and tomorrow is a "holiday" so pretty sure stores wont work, cause i need to buy an ohmmeter to check if my Denso spark plugs are legit or not

• Like 1