Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear knob cap removal

Duran

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the cap of the gear knob? Only the cap is worn, so I would rather just change that than replace whole knob.

IMG-0278.jpg

I saw whole cap's for sale cheaply on websites like Aliexpress.

The top should be just glued on.

Has anyone here just changed the cap? I is it just a simple matter of prying it off?

I dare not try before I know for sure it’s possible 😀

If you check replacement part pictures, it looks like it's actually screwed in.

So probably the knob is hollow all the way to the top, and you should be able to reach the screw with a screwdriver. 

image.thumb.png.4608b1d005aa301e7cfbdc48d1e263f3.png

image.thumb.png.f7811ea498e0af0598b19fe3a460cc6d.pngimage.thumb.png.c45e3d3a8280baf7f36c496a27ef9bbc.png

I just sanded mine still attached to the knob, masked it up and sprayed it. Turned out okay, but next time I would give the paint the recommended drying time, lol.

14 hours ago, paul9 said:

I just sanded mine still attached to the knob, masked it up and sprayed it. Turned out okay, but next time I would give the paint the recommended drying time, lol.

Yes, that’s a good idea. Unfortunately also the middle part with the gear numbers is   worn. Don’t want to spray over that 😉

The used part online is like 1 gbp with free shipping. Stuff needed to get it primed, sanded, repainted is much more, so the math is simple.

You can order a genuine gear knob cap set from Toyota for a few £, part number on a 5 speed Auris is 33624-09070 to remove the old one insert a plastic trim tool between the chrome ring and leather of the shift knob and gently twist the cap will pop out see:

Capture.PNG

Capture 1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

Capture 4.PNG

Capture 5.PNG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anybody had good luck with the non-Toyota lookalike replacement knobs available on Amazon and eBay?

I am having a little trouble sourcing the £4 cover part (33624-09040). A supplier told me he couldn't guarantee it would fit my car, would only sell me the full knob instead for over £100...

Edited by Douglasheld
clarity

check aliexpress, they have it there

Thanks for this post as i need to also replace the top section as the gearknob itself is still in good condition.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @Devon Aygo ,

does the yaris 5 speed could fit in auris 5 speed as I bought the wrong part ? Or i mist buy the special auris 5 speed 

Shouldn't be any reason why not as far as i am aware they where just different shades of Gray

For the sake of a tenner I'd just replace it, my shaft is now black instead of grey 🤣