Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Issue/Air Con Issue

tarantula_123

Hi,

Think the EIS is the one I got, made in Germany if I remember correctly.

Have read a lot of folk going on about how good the Nissens are, but like most things you gets what you pays for !

Reuse the old coolant -  no way ! 

Before removing the old radiator, drain and flush things a couple of times to get rid of as much muck and old coolant as possible, as they may not mix well with new antifreeze.

Not sure of the capacity of your TS, say about 6-7 ltrs ?  so get your antifrreze ( I use the Comma G30 - enter you reg in their site for your model)  and if using concentrate use Deionised water, ( £1 a 2ltr bottle , most  big supermarkets )  not tap water, as your London water will likely be hard.

Squeeze the top and bottom hoses as you fill up, ( put concentrate in first if using it)  and give it a short gentle run to get up to full temp , then let it cool down overnight and then top up as it will likely have dropped a lot as the air locks have worked out,

Thanks for the reply OC, I did a full flush and refill about 4 years ago with toyota long life coolant....l would have thought its in goid nick.

The full system is 6.5L, I was hoping to just refill the radiator and  be donewithit....getting lazy.

Also, is the comma G30 the equivalent to Toyota Pink stuff?

Cheers

Hi,

Most sites suggest changing it every 2+ to 4 years after Toyotas original has been replaced at 100k miles.

Seem a waste of putting a new rad in if you are just going to circulate half the old sludge around it, even if it looks clean , its probably lost a lot of its chemical properties.

Reading up on Toyota and Commas antifreeze i was happy they are both of similar types, though with any antifreeze if never adviseable to mix different makes in the same system, hence doing a flush to remove as much old as possible.

Not sure about your TS but on ours there is a tap on the rear of the block, just above the exhaust to allow the block to be drained as much as possible, but move it carefully/use some penetrating fluid first, looks as if you could break it if too heavy handed.

Thanks OC, I've gone for the Hella brand radiator from Green Spark Plug (through Amazon).

I am looking into the coolant now, £43 for pre-mixed 7L from Fish-brothers, cant seem to get the concentrated from Mr.T. I am a bit worried the if I use the pre-mixed, it may get diluted with the water left in the block from the flush...even after draining the block from the rear I didnt get out what I put in last time. But I used the concentrated stuff, so I put in 3.25L of coolant and fill with water until its full. Didnt need to worry about how much water let in the nooks and crannies.

I'll look into the G30 as I'm flasing it and might be a bit cheaper.

Yes, add concentrate first for that very reason, about 1 ltr + still in the pipework etc.

You can get Comma G30 concentrate almost anywhere even Halfords typically £25 or less  for 5ltr 

Well that did go so well.....the Hella does not fit, hoses apprear to be too big and the fan shroud fitting was a bolt type rather than a clip-on type. So much for first time fit...not.

I've now ordered a Nissens fron ECP, hopefully they will supply the right one.

Got the Nissens radiator today, well packed with a new rad cap, little short in height, about 5mm or so and had  to squeeze the fan shroud in between the edge.

I run distilled, about 15 litre,  and run the engine until temp guage is in the middle twice.

For some odd reason I thought I'd rinse once more and took it for a couple of mile run. I was surprised to see the water was still little pink again.

I have a feeling the thermostat did not open previously. I've filled up again and taken it for a good drive. Hopefully its all clear now, I'll drain and add the G30 coolant tomorrow.

Hi,

Probably worth changing the thermostat before you add the new antifreeze.

As on mine, did find signs of dried coolant around the thermostat  housing. its just a thin O ring seal.

Is it worth adding chemical cleaner like Holts Speed flush to clean the heater core and engine block? or am I asking for trouble?

I get slightly better heat on the passenger side vents than the driver side.

Hi,

Your choice really, so many differing views on such products and motoring cleaners  / addatives generally.

What was the colour of the water when you first drained it, still good and clear pinkish or quiet brown and murky ?  if the latter it might be worth while..?

I have a feeling the thermostat did not open previously.

As the temp gauge gets towards normal, hold the top hose and you should feel the hot water start to come though as the stat slowly opens.

No, nice clean pink.....got lighter with each flush.

Won't bother with chemical...took the heater core pipes off and pumped water in both ways and was clear with a hint of pink.

Just going to flush it one more time and add coolant.

Cheers oc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links