Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid a few questions

Panthor

Hi picking up my 2010 hybrid auris next weekend and just had a few questions I haven’t found the answers for;

Dashcam - any issues with this draining batteries? Was going to wire to something that only comes on with ignition, maybe heated seats? Also may add a second camera for the rear.

solar trickle charger, was thinking of one of these for when the car is left for periods of time, will any be ok or do I need a specific one? Wouldn’t use all the time as I’m having the windows tinted and don’t want it always left on the dash.

It’s got the inbuilt satnav unit, can this stream music via bluetooth?

if the 12v Battery went flat is there any harm using jump leads or should I invest in a jump pack?

How much fuel does the tank hold? Rough idea on how much it costs to fill up from nearly empty.

thanks

14 minutes ago, Panthor said:

Hi picking up my 2010 hybrid auris next weekend and just had a few questions I haven’t found the answers for;

dashcam - any issues with this draining batteries? Was going to wire to something that only comes on with ignition, maybe heated seats? Also may add a second camera for the rear.

solar trickle charger, was thinking of one of these for when the car is left for periods of time, will any be ok or do I need a specific one? Wouldn’t use all the time as I’m having the windows tinted and don’t want it always left on the dash.

It’s got the inbuilt satnav unit, can this stream music via Bluetooth?

if the 12v battery went flat is there any harm using jump leads or should I invest in a jump pack?

How much fuel does the tank hold? Rough idea on how much it costs to fill up from nearly empty.

thanks

Dash cam - I have two, one front and one back, both plugged into the lighter sockets, both only come on when the ignition is on (Touring Sport) has one in the boot).

Solar Charger - what is your worry, in March I left my car at Heathrow for five weeks, when I got back started no problem!

Sat Nav - Is it a touch 2, if so yes.

12v Battery - Standard jump start should be ok, I have jump started other cars from it.

Fuel Tank - 55L

• Thanks 1

A 2010 Auris hybrid may have had the previous generation stereo and sat nav to the Toyota Touch (the Touch 2 didn't come out til 2014/15).

It will have a USB and Aux socket in the upper glove box - so you can download music onto a USB stick and play music using that.

With the first generation Auris hybrid (2010-2012), the Battery is beneath the boot floor (rather than beneath the rear seat as in the second generation), and, because of this, the fuel tank size is reduced to 45 litres. As with most of their models, Toyota allows quite a generous reserve for when the low fuel light comes on.

• Thanks 1

45 litres should be good for 600 miles. Obviously depends on how you drive, less if you do lots of high speed MWay, and the weather plays a big part. Winter you will get less mpg, summer more.

• Thanks 1

Re the 12v Battery. My wife’s 2010 Auris hybrid Battery went flat twice. Proved to be a dying Battery and because battery is in the boot it really needs to be replaced with an AGM battery as is standard. This is because a conventional battery could split open in the event of a rear end accident, spilling acid through the cab and occupants - not recommended. A new AGM battery from Toyota is about £130 and that is a competitive price. 

The 12v battery is basically used to fire up the vehicle computer which then uses the hv battery, the big one under your rear seat accessible from the boot.

i purchased a 12v battery pack about the size of a mobile phone, Suaki I think it manufacturer. This can be used to charge mobile phones and other devices,  it does come with its own crocodile clips so can jump start vehicles, including the 12v Auris battery. This can be across the battery terminals, or the dedicated jump points under the bonnet. Works very well. About £35. There are more powerful units available costing more,  it not needed for an Auris. I tested it one day when the wife’s battery went flat. By the time I connected it across battery terminals in the boot and walked to the driver seat, switched on and the system was ready to go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Re the 12v battery. My wife’s 2010 Auris hybrid battery went flat twice. Proved to be a dying battery and because battery is in the boot it really needs to be replaced with an AGM battery as is standard. This is because a conventional battery could split open in the event of a rear end accident, spilling acid through the cab and occupants - not recommended. A new AGM battery from Toyota is about £130 and that is a competitive price. 

The 12v battery is basically used to fire up the vehicle computer which then uses the hv battery, the big one under your rear seat accessible from the boot.

i purchased a 12v battery pack about the size of a mobile phone, Suaki I think it manufacturer. This can be used to charge mobile phones and other devices,  it does come with its own crocodile clips so can jump start vehicles, including the 12v Auris battery. This can be across the battery terminals, or the dedicated jump points under the bonnet. Works very well. About £35. There are more powerful units available costing more,  it not needed for an Auris. I tested it one day when the wife’s battery went flat. By the time I connected it across battery terminals in the boot and walked to the driver seat, switched on and the system was ready to go.

Be warned!!!  My 12v Battery was flat last week but no problem, I thought, because I have a jump start pack in the boot.  Unfortunately, the boot wouldn't open because the Battery was flat!  I called out Toyota Roadside Assistance and they got me going very quickly.

• Thanks 1

A good point Ian.  I keep my jump pack behind the driver seat in the backrest pouch. Even with a flat Battery I should be able to get in the drivers door then lean into the back for the Battery pack.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this in case anyone else has the same questions I did.

dash cam easy to install hard wired and no issues with Battery drain.

the sat nav unit on mine is the B9030 and it does allow for music to be streamed via bluetooth (iPhone with Spotify) and I can skip tracks.

jump pack haven’t tried one yet but answers above are promising.

it cost me £41 to fill up with normal unleaded today when I still had approx 38 miles left to use.