Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hello, just about to buy a Toyota...

noodldoodl

...RAV4 2.2 D-4D SR 180 with 63k on the clock, but with meticulous levels of paperwork showing full Toyota service history and all of the invoices for any work that's been carried out. I've paid the local dealer £100 refundable deposit to hold the car while he sorts out a solution for the lack of a spare tyre and to determine which, if any, of the currently fitted tyres are run-flats. In an ideal world I'd like none of them to be run-flat and to have some sort of spare wheel, be that a space saver or whatever.

This aside what else should I be looking for in terms of potential issues? 

This is the car in question...

For example, in the photo showing the engine bay there looks to be a spattering of something around the front of the engine and was wondering what could have caused this? I've not asked the dealer this question yet and would like to get advice from the kind people here so that I can go back to him armed with usable knowledge, so that I can't be fobbed off. I've read somewhere about head gaskets becoming troublesome and obvs want to avoid a car that's showing symptoms of failure in this area.

And even though it's on a 2009 reg plate is there a way of finding out exactly when the engine was made? I understand some cars pre-2009 had more problems that were fixed around the '09 mark and it would be reassuring to know I have a car that's from this time. 

Been lurking for a while as I've been after a RAV4 for some time and quite excited to almost becoming part of the family, so to speak!

Thanks very much for any advice,

David.

EDIT: Just made the noobest error ever by asking about cars in this section of the forum, for which I unreservedly apologise. If admin could move my post accordingly I would be extremely grateful and sorry once again x

Hello David - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

See the following re the head gasket issues - 

Please note the guide refers to production date not date of first registration - a 2009 registered car could still have been produced before Dec 2008. Toyota did offer a goodwill arrangement on affected cars, but all cars will now be beyond the time/mileage limit for help with head gasket failure now.

A Toyota dealer should be able to say whether or not the car in question, if it is from the affected batch,  has had a replacement engine under the goodwill arrangement

Thanks Mike/Frosty

Is there a definitive way of knowing exactly when my car was manufactured?

Thanks again,

David

Would have thought a Toyota dealer would be able to tell you the build date from the VIN.

Or Parts-King may be able to tell you if you send him a private message, the VIN and the reg.no

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/profile/34014-parts-king/

Thanks for all of your help, Frosty. Dealer is putting 2 new front tyres (non run-flat) and supplying a space saver spare in its own bag! Very excited to have a car where the seating position 's quite high. Coming from a BMW 325i coupe! 

On 5/12/2019 at 9:11 PM, noodldoodl said:

Thanks Mike/Frosty

Is there a definitive way of knowing exactly when my car was manufactured?

Thanks again,

David

look at the very bottom of the seat belt at the B pillar..the label should tell you month and year of manufacture.

Thanks for that tip regards checking the seat belt for date of manufacture. Dealer has said it's 2009, so will check this to corroborate his info. 

Hello David, welcome in to the club 😄