Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo HIR2 headlight bulbs

iiNNeX

Hello all,

I am picking up my 2016 Aygo on Tuesday and one of the things that has bugged me on the test drive is how the main beam does not match the DRL's. I did some searching and the folks over in the US suggested the Philips ultra vision HIR2 bulbs which are apparently a perfect match. Problem is I can't find those anywhere in the UK. 

What are you all using?

The other option is 55W 6000K/5000K HID kit but that will be last resort.

Thank you!

The HID bulbs as an aftermarket fitting will fail the MOT. 

I'm using 

Aside from that the DRL's turn off when the headlights are on - unless you use the flash function of the headlights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The HID bulbs as an aftermarket fitting will fail the MOT. 

I'm using 

Aside from that the DRL's turn off when the headlights are on - unless you use the flash function of the headlights.

Yes I am aware they will technically not "pass", but neither should the ones on my Type R civic or the decat manifold 😛

That said, with the AYGO I'd like to stay as legal as possible since it is going to be my daily commuter in and out of London, so more chance of potentially getting stopped for something.

Thank you for linking that thread though, I have just had a read through it and it sounds like the Optiwhite bulbs are basically the phillips bulb I was looking for. I will ask the dealer for a pair upon collection. Also I wasn't aware the DRLs switched off when dipped beam is on, it's my first "modern" car to be honest, the rest have all been early 2000s japanese sports cars lol.

So I went to my dealer today and asked for the bulbs, they quoted me £52 per bulb incl VAT. @FROSTYBALLS you mentioned in that thread that you got them at £47 for the pair? Am I getting majorly ripped off or have they skyrocketed in price?

They've made a mistake on the quantity. The bulbs come boxed as a pair. Several other members have bought the same bulbs at around the price mentioned (I bought mine at the end of 2017 - so the price may have increased slightly since). The bulbs are Philips bulbs.

• Like 2

I suspect that the dealer doesn't realise that they come as pairs ... You can always ask Parts-King for a quote or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Auris-CHR-HIR2-Optiwhite-60-Legal-Upgrade-Headlight-Bulb-x2-Kit/112758238369. Snows are a Toyota dealer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

They've made a mistake on the quantity. The bulbs come boxed as a pair. Several other members have bought the same bulbs at around the price mentioned (I bought mine at the end of 2017 - so the price may have increased slightly since). The bulbs are Philips bulbs.

Thank you for clearing that up.

2 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

I suspect that the dealer doesn't realise that they come as pairs ... You can always ask Parts-King for a quote or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Auris-CHR-HIR2-Optiwhite-60-Legal-Upgrade-Headlight-Bulb-x2-Kit/112758238369. Snows are a Toyota dealer.

That's great, just ordered the last pair 🙂

• Like 1

Right bit of an update on this. Received the bulbs from Snow today, nice and fast.

Took some pics of the package and an after shot:

QYBbzirh.jpg

WBxX1Y7h.jpg

gOdeVjLh.jpg

m5cqKWhh.jpg

My conclusion: I believe the light output is better, and they are a tad brighter (kelvin wise), however they are still yellow... and deffinitely are far from the white sidelight strip underneath them. Also another thing to note, is it says on the box they last up 500hrs, which is pretty bad if that's true. That means that when it starts getting dark earlier, from September for example, if you have your dipped beam on for 4 hours a day, they will only last you 4 months. LOL

Ah well, it is what it is. Definitely getting HID kit once these go though, here is how that looks on my EP3 for reference (and this is the 6K 55W kit, you can get 5K which is pure white):

WFjwO5Xh.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up for you boys who live in countries in which aftermarket LED headlamps are legal. 

Finally Philips has come up with something better. 

https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/11972UEX2/ultinon-essential-led-car-headlight-bulb

It is officially available in Asia only at the moment. Some reviews claimed that it is designed not to shine into on coming traffics.  

They also have Philips X-treme Ultinon 9012 HIR2 which I am sure is illegal in most places.

fairly sure that these have been out for a while (at least a year) but they always have a statement, as here, something along the lines of "It is your own responsibility to ensure that the use of the LED retrofit lights complies with applicable local legal requirements."

They are listed on the Philips UK site too e.g. https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/11972ULWX2/ultinon-led-car-headlight-bulb/specifications

"

optiwhite my ***** they are as yellow as your car Stoycho .

the image on the packaging is misleading as they show a headlight with a white light output

i'd be asking about a refund , they definately aren't what i thought they would be like.

On 7/17/2019 at 11:34 PM, Heidfirst said:

fairly sure that these have been out for a while (at least a year) but they always have a statement, as here, something along the lines of "It is your own responsibility to ensure that the use of the LED retrofit lights complies with applicable local legal requirements."

They are listed on the Philips UK site too e.g. https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/11972ULWX2/ultinon-led-car-headlight-bulb/specifications

Hey Heidfirst, that was my mistake, my link was the H7 bulb. I am pretty sure the Ultinon series has been around for a while, just that they did not have the HIR2 yet. 

This is the link here for the HIR2 https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/11012UEX2/ultinon-essential-led-headlight-bulb/specifications

I found some info of these HIR2 Ultinon bulbs, which says its output is around 1450 lumem while the Philips xenon HIR2 probably exceeds 1800 lumen. In a way, it is less bright than their xenon counterparts. 

I use Phillips LED bulbs in my Mk1. Look nice and white without the obvious (and law attracting) blue tint of HID. Beam pattern is excellent as well.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Please do reply, also do few randoms on forum before this 
I  would recommend to go for Led kit if you want brightness i did use LED on my aygo and it is perfect https://xenons4u.co.uk/9012-hir2-led-headlight-conversion-kit.html

of course a bit pricey, but if want cheaper check these as well https://xenons4u.co.uk/hir2-9012-super-white-headlight-bulbs-55w.html

we have leds in our auris with projector headlights and it passed its mot

with no issues they also came with a 2 yr warranty ,this is the led bulb we used

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/twenty20-compact-led-headlight-bulbs-HIR2-9012-pair.html

n/s bulb is the new led bulb the o/s is the original halogen bulb thought i would take this photo

to use it as a comparisson

20191030_192634.jpg

• Like 1

My current C1 (soon to be replaced with a new 2020 Aygo) has had HID bulbs since 2010 and has passed the MOT every year, including 2020 (after the new MOT rules were introduced), so passing an MOT test is not an indication of legality.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Regular HIR2 non Longlife is usually 1870 lumens from OSRAM.  The OEM Toyota part is Philips LL 1340 lumens.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Any advice on choosing better performing - brighter,stronger headlight bulbs for my 2011 Aygo?

Moved to the Aygo forum.

LED bulbs in headlights designed for halogen is currently an MOT fail.

Several makes of upgrade halogen bulbs - Osram Nightbreaker Laser +150% or +200%, Elta Vision Pro 150 (or their other brand Lucas Lightbooster +150), Philips Xtreme Vision Pro 150, etc.

Bear in mind the brighter the bulb, the shorter the lives, although Philips upgrade bulbs seem to have longer advertised life than others.

Available from Amazon, eBay, and other internet sellers.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

What about the original HIR2 that the Aygo came with originally when purchased new? Do Toyota offer that? I would like to compare the specs with the updated ones they offer. Main issue for me is which one lasts longer. The updated one may be brighter but will it last as long?

Also unsure do Toyota charge for fitting? 

What about the original HIR2 that the Aygo came with originally when purchased new? Do Toyota offer that? I would like to compare the specs with the updated ones they offer. Main issue for me is which one lasts longer. The updated one may be brighter but will it last as long?

Also unsure do Toyota charge for fitting? 

Brighter upgrade bulbs do have a shorter life than the non-upgrade bulbs. You trade off having a bright bulb for a shorter life.

I use upgrade bulbs in both cars, as I prefer the brighter headlights.

There are alternative upgrade bulbs to Toyota's (which are made by Philips): e.g. Philips XtremeVision Pro 150 available on eBay, Amazon, etc.

On the Aygo headlight bulbs are easy to fit.

• Like 1