Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Doors not unlocking intermittantly

Michael Hogan

I have 2010 Avensis T4 estate with keyless entry and of late it not opening the doors just clicking,     left for a couple of hours it works again and then stops again , have replaced Battery in fob and tried the second fob but still the same, have checked for loose connection But no good    this happened before but stopped again , some one said to hold down both buttons on the fob for 30 seconds pointed at car ???  Any suggestions   most annoying  using key only opens one door

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Title edited to reflect subject

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Avensis club.

Hi Michael, welcome to TOC 🙂

Have you considered the possibility that it isn't the fobs but a servo/actuator in the central locking system of the car?

On 5/13/2019 at 11:08 PM, Heidfirst said:

Hi Michael, welcome to TOC 🙂

Have you considered the possibility that it isn't the fobs but a servo/actuator in the central locking system of the car?

Thanks for your reply  how would i check this to see if it the problem

The locking control button inside the car should be using the same actuators. If that button show the same problems, that would indicate the fobs are not your problem. If the internal button always works fine, with two fobs showing the same problems, I would suspect whichever ECU it is that receives and decodes the keyfob signals.

Disconnecting the car Battery for a few minutes to reset the ECUs could possibly help, in that case. This may mean you need to resynch the fobs with the car, I'm not sure how Toyotas handle that. My older non keyless system has never needed a resynch, but other car makes often have.

• 1 month later...

I found if you put a blow heater under glove box point it up at fuse box it will start working again but then stops few other boxes up there as well all connections look good not wet ??????

The heater thing may be coincidental.

Not very scientific but it might be worth a quick squirt of WD40 into each door latch. Just open each door and direct the straw into the latch. Our old Corolla wouldn't lock from the fob a couple of years ago. It was intermittent and always seemed to occur after a short journey. It became a regular thing over many weeks. A quick squirt in the latches and also the drivers key hole and its been perfect ever since. As I say, very unscientific, but two years trouble free operation suggest it did the trick.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue. Unlocking automatically works about 50% of the time but from button every time. I will try the wd40 trick but I think that it is really bug in the controlling software. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links