Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only one Valet key present-Toyta RAV4 2004

Lion Cub

Dear members.

I am seeking your advice and directions.

Unfortunately our Toyota Prius plugin was stolen 1 months ago for the driveway.

We purchased Toyota Rav4  2004- manual-petrol 2 weeks ago and discover that we have one key only, which is the valet (grey) key. we do not have any extra key - no master/transponder and no remote (fob) keys. I do understand that I am unable to program any key or fob key with a valet key. (please confirm?!)

Speaking to the local Toyota dealer I discover that they can not help me if I do not have a master/transponder key (black cover), unless they replace the entire lock/mechanism at a very high costs.
So here are my questions:
1. Can I have a master/transponder key made somewhere else by providing the car VIN number?
2. If/once having the Master/transponder key - will I be able to program a fob/remote key with the master/transponder key?.
3. Can the above be made online or do I need to take the care over?
Thank you and looking forward to your response
K

The valet key has an immobiliser chip identical to that in the normal key or remote key. The chip can be cloned to a new chip  - there are plenty of people that can do this including Timpsons. Again, remote blank keys are readily available and can be DIY programmed for remote operation. The requirement for programming is that you have an ignition key with an immobiliser chip. The real difficulty comes when you don’t have any keys so the chip cannot be cloned. In your case, any new key will be cut from the grey key so won’t lock the glovebox.

Many thanks for your advice & information gjnorthall.

I had my valet key replicated at Timpsons today. Unfortunately I am unable to programme any key or remote key without the master key- which I don't have. I was quoted £1500 by Toyota to change the entire mechanism...  

Cheers

So you now have a second key that will start the car? I'm not sure I understand what you mean that you are unable to programme any key or remote key. In terms of a key - the only thing you can programme is the immobiliser chip and it sounds as if Timpsons have done this for you. A new remote key is programmed in the same way or you can simply remove the chip from your new key and use it to replace the non programmed chip in a remote key. Programming the remote in order to remotely operate the door locks is a separate operation. To enable the remote to be programmed you need a key that will operate the ignition and disable the immobiliser. You already have such a key so you're able to programme the remote. It's a long winded procedure which you'll find detailed in this forum and elsewhere on the internet. It's best to try to memorise the method since there are parts of the sequence that need to be done within a short timeframe and it would be difficult searching through the instructions for the next step.

This is the remote entry programming I used successfully with my Rav4:

REMOTE/CENTRAL LOCKING Procedure:

1. Start: Driver's door open and unlocked. Key not inserted in the ignition.
2. Insert programmed master key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.
3. Do the following with the driver's door: shut, open, shut, open, all within 40 secs.
4. Insert key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.
5. Repeat step 3.
6. Close driver's door.
7. Insert key in ignition
8. Turn key from Lock to On and back to Lock with a 1 second interval. The number of times you do this will select the desired programming mode: Once for ADD key, twice for REWRITE all keys, 3 times for CONFIRMATION, 5 times for PROHIBITION.
9. Remove key from ignition.
10. As verification of mode selection (except in Confirmation mode), the electric door locks will lock and unlock a number of times corresponding to the mode chosen in step 8.
(If Confirmation mode is selected, the doors will lock/unlock a number of times corresponding to the number of remote controls programmed into the system.)
11. For ADD and REWRITE modes: within 25 seconds after the locks have confirmed the selected mode:
(11a) Hold down the LOCK button on the new remote control whilst at the same time pressing UNLOCK 5 times. (11b) Release and press LOCK once. (11c) if the procedure has been performed correctly, the door locks will go from lock to unlock. If not, start from 1 again.
(11d) To enter additional remotes, repeat from step (11a).
12. Open driver's door to complete the procedure.

Quite a tedious procedure but I reckon the best way is to read and learn the process so you can complete all actions within a matter of a few seconds - any delay will 'time-out' the procedure.

From memory you can’t program in from valet key, only master keys, it would be pointless to have a valet key if you could - it also won’t open the glove box being a valet key). My solution cost me £200 for existing keys to be removed, two new keys and fobs to be supplied and cut and immo chips coded in. The Toyota option was a full replacement of the security ECU which is a dash out job and as stated above runs over 1.5K. Call your local key place, or get familiar with Techstream.

This is getting confusing.  How did your new keys get coded in with no master key?

It’s really not that complex. If you have a master key, you can (usually) code in another master key using the process above. If you have a valet key, you can’t code anything in from it (you wouldn’t want a valet key that allows coding, it defeats the purpose of a valet key).

If you need to code new master keys when you only have a valet key, then you need to have blades cut from the Toyota key code and someone with the ability to remove existing master key’s immo’s from the security ECU and code new ones in. I resorted to paying someone £200 to do the job from start to finish.

So what does the "someone" use to code the new keys?

I didn’t actually bother to stand and watch him, but Techstream will code keys, you can do it yourself, you just need a laptop running it, OBD lead and to source the key parts, know your 5 digit key code and find someone willing/able to cut a blade from it. You’ll also need the remote/immo chip but they’re easily sourced on eBay etc.

On a side note, spend £4 on a 3rd party flip fob case while you’re at it - they’re much more durable than the Toyota and cloned Toyota versions.

That's interesting.  I have used Techstream to remove a lost key and replace it with a new master, but I needed a master key (which I luckily had) to do it.  I didn't see any method of doing that without the master.

I know you can't believe everything you read on the net, but I have found a post which stated that there is a method to reset the immobiliser ECU to a new (unprogrammed) state, after which you can program new keys (including masters).  I didn't say what hardware /software is required, but if it's only Techstream, It's very unlikely that Toyota dealers could get away with requiring a new ECU etc to be fitted.

I've found a video showing a locksmith programming new keys without a master.  He didn't explain everything (of course) and the software did not look like Techstream (but that could be because mine is a different age), so I'm still in the dark.

Thank you for all answers to my original query.

As mentioned before - I have now two valet keys (one cloned) and no master key. Using manual keys with no remote seems not as bad as I thought it would be i'm getting slowly used to it all.

Should the valet key open all the other 4 doors locks (boot included) when inserted (manually) and unlocking the driver's door? - As mine not !- I need to unlock and open the driver's door, following by unlocking (or locking) all the other doors manually with the side panel central lock button placed on the driver's door. 

IanML could you send a link to the video?

Cheers

Do both keys you now have  (valet + cloned valet) allow the engine to be started?

The guy I used seemed to distribute 3rd party software/tools to the industry - he had a site doing so last a I looked - most of it was nothing more than reselling cloned hardware with restrictions bypassed for 1/2 price, at one point I needed a WinStar set-up and that’s where I remembered his details from. TBH I was slightly desperate as the situation was I only had a valet key, i’d been told years earlier by a Toyota senior tech who had to come and see a previous RAV to authorise a few grand of work (instrument cluster replacement) that the security ECU swap wouldn’t be needed as he could reset it, but on calling Toyota this time round I was fobbed off with a 1.5K quote. In my case the alarm was active and while driving anywhere was fine, it required the alarm to sound every time I parked up/ignition off, or unlocked and started up, not popular with neighbours if you work antisocial hours.

He turned up, pulled the key code, cut two new master keys (yes, they open the glove box), coded in two immo chips, synced the remote fob’s and left £200 better off 45 mins later, I swapped one over to a flip key recently as Toyota keys have a nasty habit of cracking the plastic over time and this is one occasion where China has a much better product than Toyota.

5 hours ago, Lion Cub said:

IanML could you send a link to the video?

Cheers

Found a better video here.  Sound is not in English (probably Mandarin?), but it has subtitles.  The product used is OBDStar Keymaster.  Probably costs an arm and a leg.

I think you could use a valet key with that setup to program a new master (or two) and then reprogram the valet key as well.  I'm fairly sure you can't do it with Techstream.

Maybe it should be possible to program the car using techstream to enable it to lock/unlock all doors instead of only the driver one, when unlocked with valet key.

Hopefully someone who has done/tried something similar can answer if it can be done.

According to my Owners Manual, it is only possible to lock or unlock all doors manually with a key (master or valet) if the car does not have double locking. (aka deadlocking).  On cars with double locking, the doors can only be locked or unlocked simultaneously using the remote control.

I've not encountered that on other makes - maybe it's unique to Toyota.

• 2 months later...

Any idea how to program immobiliser, new key works lock and doors but car won’t start 

1 hour ago, Ols said:

Any idea how to program immobiliser, new key works lock and doors but car won’t start 

Use Toyota Techstream.  The instructions are in the software and on youtube.  You will need an already programmed master key - if you don't have one, call a car locksmith.  He will use a very expensive special tool.

NOT really a good idea but on this older vehicle you can cut open the grey cover of the valet key and fish out the little black chip and tape it to the reciever around the ignition barrel .

get as many keys cut as you want from the valet key 

immobiliser is bypassed and car is easy to start with any key that turns the barrel but also steal in the old fashioned sense ( only if the thieves know or have a random try at this vehicle) if they get steering lock broken etc but id fit a steering wheel lock or something as an extra deterent/defense

only if your at a pinch and not wanting to spend large sums on an old vehicle doing it by the book !

just an example of a way round your problem