Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis t27 DRL led conversion?

systemfel12

Hello there!

new Avensis owner from Sweden here!

Bought myself an 2013 Avensis 2.0d a few weeks ago. It’s my first ever Toyota, so i’m not really an expert yet! 😁

My question is regarding the DRL light!

My car is equipped with halogen projectors and halogen DRL.. However, iv’e converted the lo-beams into Led with a conversion kit from IPF and hi-beams is converted into HID.. BUT i’m having problems with the DRL lights! 

Iv’e tried 3 different kind of led bulbs, with no success.. Canbus leds, non polarity leds etc but nothing works...

For now i have theese crappy looking xenon look halogen bulbs, but they are no way near the 6000k white light that the lo-beam led bulbs has.. Also, the light output of the xenon looks suck big time, soo..

please tell me i’m not stuck with the xenon looks!

thanks in advance

Hejsan Jens!

I am dealing with same problem here... Seems that the only possibility to get the bulb monitoring work ok with leds is to add resistors into drl circuit. Or maybe there are some conversion kits too, I don´t know.

Local car part dealer (specialized in car lights) promised to get me suitable led bulbs by tomorrow but I´m pessimistic. And if them should work, will the light output be enough (lumens)?

Well, we will see about that. The good thing is that I can test them before buying.

I am dreaming about led lo-beams too and interested to know which leds have you chosen? I´ve looked some but noticed that there is not enough room with the sealing cap on. I mean the bulbs are too long from behind. 

Iv’e now know what the problem with the DRL’s are.. The stock t20 bulbs has double filaments, one which function is as parking/position lights, and one which function as DRL.. The problem is to find double filament leds which has the same ”white” (6000k) light on all led chips.. It’s more common with white/orange dual filament bulbs.. But today i actually found some leds on Amazon i’m going to try..

For the lo beams i went with IPF’s led conversion kit which were bought from Swedish site ”prestandabelysning”, but theese i actually gonna swap out for a led from ”diodhuset” which is made for use with a projector lens.. The IPF’s works best in a reflector..

Just remove the sealing cap, and replace them with some universal rubber ditos.. I bought mine from ”diodhuset” also...

I bought earlier two cheap led bulbs ( CRX LED 12V 7443 T20 CAN-BUS). They have that double filaments emitting system (powerful and less powerful light) and both are same bright white. Problem is that they only flash once when turning sidelights or drl on. Avensis bulb monitoring thinks that bulb is dead and won´t let the current on. The led bulb resistance is too low.

I visited Diodhuset website. Their led bulbs aren´t E-marked either but if they are suitable with projector lenses, that´s ok.

I have planned to make new deeper sealing caps with 3D printer but I guess yours are as good.

Does the avensis even have canbus for the lighting? If so, its just on the DRL/parking light. The Lo-beam led conversion kit i fitted to my car does not have a built in canbus resistor and works just fine without warnings and such.. Same with the fog lights, non canbus IPF fog light leds installed.

Only reason i fitted a Canbus HID kit to the hi-beams was i didn’t want to connect it via a relay.. 

If it’s only a matter of to low resistance, it’s easily solved.. 

Dont know if the rubber caps i bought is ”the ****” but they do the job, even if they are not threaded like the original Toyota ones.. At first i planned to modify the originals, but since theese rubber ones do the job, i did not bother 😎

I would say no Can-Bus. Anyway the bulbs I bought were supposed to fit to cars with or without Can-Bus. Maybe tomorrow I have some more information about Avensis drl after visiting that bulb dealer...

As I already almost knew: the bulb dealer computer said no ... There aren´t suitable led bulbs for (non-can) Avensis drl.

Some extra resistors are going to be needed to make leds working. 

After quick search I found out that there are led decoders for T20 7443 bulbs too but I don´t know if they are digital or not.

Ordered a set of t20/7443 resistors/decoders of eBay on friday.. should have them next week..

Have you noticed that some decoders are only for can-bus?  Avensis needs decoders with power resistors (25 - 50 W)...

Nope, i missed on that one.. Well, they were only like £10 anyway so.. We’ll see if they work..

soon i Will have like 4 different pairs of t20 leds, a whole bunch of different canbus decoders  🤣 (i have 4 h11 decoders, 2 H7 and soon theese for t20).. Add to that, 2 35w hid kits, 1 55w HID kit, and some spare hid bulbs... Feels like i need to get rid of some stuff soon 🙄😄

I have tested 2 different (cheap) led bulbs now and both are not powerful enough. No lm (lumen) enough comparing to 21W original. Light color is ok (bright white).

Technical data claimed that light output in those bulbs are 30/180 lm, but I think it should be at least 300 lm for drl to have as much light as from original. Maybe that 30 lm is ok for positioning lights.

And even those low-lumen bulbs got quite hot, so what would happen with higher lumen bulbs...

And one other thing: if drl is 300 lm, will the position light be too bright then...

Have you installed decoders? 

I ordered decoders from domestic shop but they are ****... They were supposed to be 7443 but they aren´t.

So I made my own temporarily decoders with regular filament bulbs because I don´t have suitable resistors. Meaning: I just put filament bulbs instead of resistors to drl circuit (5w to position and 10W to drl) with leds. They worked fine.

Forgot to say: those decoders I bought  are for can-bus too. I phoned there before and asked if they will fit to Avensis and they say oh yes ( sounded like me asking stupid questions...). It is obvious they don´t have knowledge enough from cars without can-bus. I think their customers all have BMWs and 0000s which are naturally can-bus...

I´ve been thinking maybe the most clever way to have led-drl is made a whole new circuit with relay(s). Just take the impulses from car´s circuit to drive that relay... ignoring the bulb monitoring light in dashboard.

I think this old topic may be useful to add here too...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I had  some time to spend with Avensis. So I made whole new circuit for drl with just two ordinary relays.

The drl´s are working as usual except: they come on right away when turning key to acc. And the fake led strip above head lamp does not work.

To make it work a resistor is needed to original drl circuit. 

Somebody may think what is the point to install led drl? To me it is just heating. Original 21 / 5 W bulbs get so hot that  drl reflectors have melted a little already. As far as I know this is common problem.

By the way: the original drl circuit is untouched, so it can be restored easily.