Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Use of normal mode

Catlover

I am finding I now driving virtually all the time in "NORMAL" mode.  I used to do most in ECO mode, certain occasions going to NORMAL or even PWR mode.  But one day, probably 6-8 weeks ago I tried defaulting to NORMAL mode and I dont really see any difference in fuel consumption. I am still easy with the right foot whenever suitable, but being in NORMAL gives me that extra surge when traffic conditions require it.

What do you other guys choose.

Same here, since around 6 months ago I only drive in normal mode, but before that been an eco driver for years . I find it more comfortable to drive in normal as does not require to press the accelerator hard to get the car going, especially when joining the traffic flow on motorways, I do 200-300 miles every day mostly motorway driving, can’t imagine going back to eco mode. Fuel consumption same, you are right all depends how gentle you play with the pedals . Eco mode only makes accelerator pedal harder to press, normal is normal and power is more sensitive pedal , no more or less power. 

• Like 1

Tried ECO and POWER with my first Prius, Gen 3, in 2010 when I first got it, didn't like the dead feel of the pedal in ECO and the fidgety pedal in POWER, neither made any difference to mpg so I have always used normal since then, Gen 3, Prius+ and now Gen 4. TBH, I can't see the point of either of those buttons now, you soon adapt to the driving style that gives best mpg in normal mode, like getting used to the biting point of the clutch on a manual car. 

• Like 1

I only ever use NORMAL mode too.  

Like others I have tried ECO but find it too lethargic, I know you can press through it and get more oomph, but I just prefer NORMAL.  I find POWER mode is like a switch, its either on or off which I find not very relaxing at all.

I have my climate set to ECO so I guess I may claw bag some MPG there, but I think the AC is pretty efficient anyway.

Totally agree Normal Mode seems best for me to. Never used power mode so cannot comment on it.

Wow! I certainly did not expect that response. I thought I would be the odd one (wife has always said I am odd one 😄). I feel quiet normal now.😎

• Haha 2

Well, just to buck the trend...

[BTW - Prius no longer gets exception from London Congestion Charge, I'm not even sure the plug-in qualifies now - and if it hasn't happened, it's about to: even Private Hire Vehicles (aka minicabs) will only be exempt if the are fully electric, Hydrogen or possibly plug-in with a fairly high EV range.]

I first drove Gen 3s at a test track 6 months before launch, and then company ones for a few weeks to get to know them as I managed a fleet of 200-300 Prius which was expanding and swapping from Gen 2 to 3 (over 600 today, though I retired a few years ago - my own was still a Gen 1 when I retired).

At first, I didn't like ECO mode except for starting off in snow/ice.  Once I got my own Gen 3 in 2012 though, I quickly developed a preference for ECO mode, which has stayed with me ever since, including on my Gen 4 Prius and on test drives of other Hybrids including an extended drive of the Gen 5 RAV4, of which I'm expecting mine to arrive next month.

It's nice to have the choice even if many only use one of them.  They have one thing in common - the all start at creep and give full power when floored.  It's how far you have to press the pedal to achieve a given level of power in between that changes.  I wouldn't say it's harder in ECO, just requires a longer pedal travel.

I use NORMAL mode on a few occasions when I'm changing lanes in busy dual carriageway traffic as I use the Adaptive Cruise Control a lot and use resume to let it manage much of my acceleration up to speed.  Unlike the 'ordinary' CC in previous Toyota Hybrids, in the Gen 4 Prius and other recent Hybrids like the new RAV4 and the C-HR, the rate of acceleration under CC varies according to the mode selected.  In ECO mode it's quite gentle, and would be inconsiderate in heavy traffic, especially when changing lanes to I switch to NORMAL or even PWR in such circumstances.  On the odd occasion someone else drives my car I put it in NORMAL unless they are used to Hybrids.

Some other Hybrids do have 'real' gearboxes and some have dual clutch systems (I'd hate to pay for repairs to one of those!) or torque converts.  Until recently most Honda Hybrids had 'real' CVT gearboxes (with belts and pulley inside), but behaved exactly like the Prius Hybrid system in response to accelerator use. 

• Like 2

ps - not sure if that makes me abnormal or extremely abnormal (I know what my ex would say...)  🙄

I tend to drive in ECO mode - always have - but I do agree the accelerator can be a bit sluggish which shows itself markedly when one transits from EV to HV...

I often use Power mode if I'm on a busy roundabout and want to get going very smartish!

On another note, I had 34.5 miles showing on charge this morning, and I only managed 22.5 miles before the Battery was flattened. I blame the fog!

Always drive our Prius+ and Auris TS in normal mode and hardly never use crusie control (other than on stright ways with, at lest, two lanes and vrey little traffic) usualy with AC on 23 celsius and no "auto" and two bars on the fan. 

Think this gets me good control ower my driving

I usually stick to Eco mode, I find I get slightly better EV range (Plug-in) and I can get better fuel economy while driving around town. It's also tied to the heating/aircon control in the Gen 3 in Auto mode (I know newer Toyotas have a separate "Eco" mode for HVAC), which I find reduces aircon and (when heating) ICE usage.

Blocking the grille probably made a bigger difference with fuel usage though.

Hi Aaron, how did you block the grill. Any chance of phots? And what sort of benefits?

• Like 1

The Gen 4 Prius (including, I think, the 2nd Gen Plug-in which is based on the Gen 4) don't need this as there is some sort of automatic block that only opens when the engine needs cooling.  Can't say I've seen it though, but I haven't really looked - I was happy enough with about 100 extra miles per tankful over the Gen 3, even though the Gen 4 tank is 2 litres smaller.

According to the blurb when the car was launched, this helps with aerodynamics as well as warm-up times.

• Like 2