Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broken oil level sensor. HELP.

peter.ling24@gmail.com

Hi again,

I wish please to ask you knowledgeable people concerning a oil level sensor on my 2005 2.2d.

The housing that the sensor is attached too at the front on the sump has been leaking oil.

I ordered a new oil ring part number 89493-60010 to replace the old one. 

I know the sensor can be fiddly to remove, so I carefully did so. The sensor wouldn't completely come out of the the housing. To my surprise the black swivel at the end of the sensor arm was preventing it being removed.  After carefully turning the black swivel at the end of the arm it came clear of the sump. A shaped piece at one end had been broken off allowing it to move almost 360 degrees. The way that the end of the sensor has been designed, it must fit around or on something inside the sump. 

The original rubber sealing ring is still in situ. The new one looks different? Perhaps there was meant to be an additional one in the sump? I tried the new sealing ring in the housing but the sensor now protrudes our from the housing.

2 questions arise?

Is this sensor unserviceable?

Where's the the piece that has broken off.

The latter question is almost certainly obvious? 

What are my options?

Please see attached photographs.

Any help please!.

Peter

IMG_20190516_180405.jpg

IMG_20190516_180506.jpg

IMG_20190516_183213.jpg

IMG_20190516_183239.jpg

The sensor float is broken. Normally it would be positioned with one of the semicircular cut outs located around the tubular peg. Obviously a bit is broken off and sitting in the sump. Shouldn't be doing any harm.

I would buy a new or good used sensor. There is only one sealing ring which locates in the recessed mounting plate on the sump.  Pry out the old ring and replace it with new.

I can't see why you would need to remove the sump. The sensor will R&R without removing the sump.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for replying. I'm worried about the bit that's broken off. Could it cause damage to the oil pick-up or block it?  Because it will float, that makes me feel more concerned. If it were a weighty it wouldn't be perhaps so bad.

Although I am not looking forward to removing the sump and what that entails, it's peace of mind I guess. 

The rubber sealing ring on the sensor is rather strange! Its has lugs attached to it that holds it in place. It also covers over the sensor wire so it will have to be cut off.

Appreciate your help and advice Jim.

Regards

Peter

IMG_20190517_124519.jpg

IMG_20190517_124531.jpg

IMG_20190516_183239.jpg

The entrance to the oil pick up pipe is low down in the sump and protected by a strong mesh screen. I don't see any chance of the piece of float blocking it. There is a possibility the crank could knock it to pieces.  Maybe drain the oil after a few hundred miles to let any debris escape?

I don't really understand your comment about the seal going over the wires (unless the design has changed).  Take a look at this video - different engine to yours but same sensor arrangement....

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the video. Appreciate this. I will try to photograph this particular seal.

The helpful guys at Toyota were rather flummoxed by it? As soon as I feel up to it I'll remove the sump and hopefully find the broken piece. Sadly, we were due to be on holiday with the caravan this week but that's how it goes.

Thanks again.

Peter