Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Aygo 2007 London to Romania. Will it last 1500 miles??

adrian19

Hello everyone, 

I recently purchased a 2007 Toyota Aygo with 78k miles on the clock. Car drives as should and no issues top speak of. Myself and girlfriend are looking to travel across Europe this summer starting in London and ending up in Romania. We will be stopping every few hours through different countries on the way for exploration. I would think the longest I would continually drive on the motorway would be around 4-5 hours. Does this whole trip sound a bit too ambitious for a petrol city car of this size with a tiny 1.0, 67bhp engine which will be driven at 70mph for an extended period of time? 

Father has told me the car will simply not last especially in Germany where as he mentioned, "even the trucks will be overtaking you, you'll be fine on declines or level ground but as soon as you reach a slight slope, the car will be unable to maintain 70mph" he said I would ideally need a diesel car with a minimum engine size of 1.9 to be safe. 

I'm very curious to see if anyone on here has done long distance motorway driving in their aygos and what others think of this trip. 

Cheers, Adrian 

There are at least a couple of members who have done European trips in their Aygos without problem.

As with any 12 year old car, be it petrol, diesel or hybrid, it does depend on the cars condition and it would be prudent to check the car over thoroughly before the trip.

You will be just fine. I do couple of round trips in few countries yearly, and never had a problem. The trucks wont be overtaking you because their speed is limited to 80kmh.

In my Auris, which is 1.6 gasoline with 124, i  drive 100 kmh on highways. I get around 6l  consumption, and this speed load wise suits the car the most. 

Yes, your car has smaller engine, but the car itself is lighter, so power to weight ratio is better. 

My advice is just drive at the speed car is most comfortable at, and you will be fine. It's a long trip, so no need to rush it. 

I'd say the only ambitious thing in what you wrote is the 70mph cruising speed, as 60 is more realistic.

Any car that is well maintained can make that trip, regardless of how much it costs. Vice versa if it has issues prior the trip, then you would need to address those.

The Aygo is pretty nippy for the horsepower it has, mainly due to weight. You can literally feel the power drop as you start adding passengers though haha.

You will be fine. I drive over 500miles a week in my aygo on the M3 M25 M40 75mph. The only thing I would take is oil as it might use a bit. 

I find mine is no problem on motorways, heads up a hilly motorway to Bradford at 80mph overtaking cars and trucks. I don't think doing a europe trip would be any different to driving around the UK for the same length of time.

Go for it 😃 The aygo is a lot more capable than a lot of people think. As already said give it a good going over before you go and keep an eye on the oil. Good luck :driving:

On 5/17/2019 at 10:50 AM, adrian19 said:

Hello everyone, 

I recently purchased a 2007 Toyota Aygo with 78k miles on the clock. Car drives as should and no issues top speak of. Myself and girlfriend are looking to travel across Europe this summer starting in London and ending up in Romania. We will be stopping every few hours through different countries on the way for exploration. I would think the longest I would continually drive on the motorway would be around 4-5 hours. Does this whole trip sound a bit too ambitious for a petrol city car of this size with a tiny 1.0, 67bhp engine which will be driven at 70mph for an extended period of time? 

Father has told me the car will simply not last especially in Germany where as he mentioned, "even the trucks will be overtaking you, you'll be fine on declines or level ground but as soon as you reach a slight slope, the car will be unable to maintain 70mph" he said I would ideally need a diesel car with a minimum engine size of 1.9 to be safe. 

I'm very curious to see if anyone on here has done long distance motorway driving in their aygos and what others 

What your Dad told you is a load of tosh. Yes, you may have to drop it into 4th, on steeper inclines, to maintain 70+, but that's due to its relatively high gearing in 5th and low torque.

I would take out some sort of european breakdown cover though, just in case.

I consider the Aygo 1.0 litre engine to be fairly bulletproof, so don't be afraid to rev it.

I have done some of the highest mileage in aygos, and never hesitated to take mine anywhere across uk and Europe. Longest stint in the saddle being from my home to cologne Germany in one go.. circa 9 hrs and 480 miles give or take. The cars can do WAY more than people think, and you will certainly not be overtaken by everyone (unless you are driving too slow.

1. Get car sercviced before trip, ensure it’s in tip top condition, replace anything required.

2. Get an emergency bag of stuff in the boot..oil, bulbs,screenwash etc..

3. Go have fun and make some memories

🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links