Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4.2 Starter Motor Relay

RAV4-D4D

I have been having the hot start issue with my car, changed the motor and it masked the problem but still isn't right (but it's better).

Yesterday the car was hot and when I turned the key the starter did nothing (Battery is fine). About 30mins later and after many attempts it fired up, and subsequent starts were fine too. It could be a one off or could be a sign of things to come....

So my question/request for help - does anyone know where the starter relay is for the 1CD FTV engine in the Rav4? I have taken the cover off the fuses/relays under the bonnet and the slot that I think might be the starter relay (labelled ST) has a white cover and doesn't look like a relay. Anyone know if this is the right place, anybody kind enough to take a picture of their relays just to see if it's the same?

Thanks in advance!

Hi John, I had a 4.2 and they are bulletproof normally I can’t help with location of relay but I would give Ian a ring at Roy’s motor company in Norwich and ask their advice, Graham in their  workshop knows toyota’s inside out . May be worth a call.

Thanks - I have just been out and bought some heat shield to wrap the starter motor - seems the symptoms of hot start can be linked to a heat soak issue.

If that doesn't work I will give them a call - thanks for the recommendation.

The relay is the cylindrical solenoid attached to the starter motor. If the Battery is ok and you get nothing when turning the key - or just a click from the solenoid, chances are that you have a loose or dirty connection. Ensure that the Battery terminals are clean and tight and that the heavy cable to the starter is clean and tight. Check also that the terminal of the signal cable to the solenoid is clean and a tight fit.

Starter motors are often shielded from a heat source but wrapping a motor will do more harm than good since it will prevent dissipation of heat from the motor!

7 hours ago, gjnorthall said:

….Starter motors are often shielded from a heat source but wrapping a motor will do more harm than good since it will prevent dissipation of heat from the motor!

If we were talking about the alternator, I'd readily agree, but the starter has such a low duty cycle that I question whether it would be a problem in the absence of any other starting problem.

Thanks for the input guys. Based upon my research the term relay and solenoid seem to get interchanged as they perform a similar function so although you probably know this here's what I've found:

I think there is a starter relay slot in the relay box under the bonnet (labelled ST) - but this has a pass-through cover on it. I was hoping I could buy/replace a relay and just slot it in and beef up the power going to the starter but sadly not. Therefore, the solenoid on the starter is responsible for delivering the high power required for starting.

I have wrapped the solenoid and starter to try and keep it cooler; I take the point about heat dissipation and I guess I will soon find out if it makes it better or worse. From my research it's quite common in US/Australia to heat shield the starter so that gives me a little comfort.

Thanks for the contributions and I'll let you know how I get on.

Quick update - I have done four long journeys all over 100miles and all at fast motorway speeds so engine gets nice and hot. So far the starter motor has performed better than ever, so I remain optimistic that wrapping the motor helps.