Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hit/press the powebutton when you drive the car?

HSDish

The power button in our Prius+ sits close to the media on/of button and sometimes when my daughter sit in the passenger seat she pushes the radio/Cd button on and of so…

Is it dangerous (what happens) if she hits/press the powebutton whilst the motor and car is running /driving for ex in motorway ?

It could be, the controls - especially accelerator become more responsive to foot pressure.

• Thanks 1

Move the seat all the way back mate 🙂

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, altocumulus said:

It could be, the controls - especially accelerator become more responsive to foot pressure.

Thanks!

Do you think I dare to test or could it damage the car?

Not too sure why it would damage the car, perhaps someone else could confirm, but I've used it whilst moving to accelerate past a slow moving vehicle,

more quickly than just putting foot down, switching back afterwards. Most often, though, it's engaged whilst stationary - waiting.

Leave it for another confirmation....

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, furtula said:

Move the seat all the way back mate 🙂

My daughter have som dasabilities ,though  so she needs to be able to controll the Radio/CD to be calm and its not easy to exlplain the risk with hiting the powerbutton

Just want to clarify that I mean the Power button for start/stop the engine

This is from my 07 Auris user manual which also has smart entry and start system, so i presume the same rule applies to your model.

It would be best to get an owners manual for your own model, and to verify.

image.thumb.png.2b736983f0a490fa3280d6acb8a15fdb.png

Have you considered getting some kind of protective cover for the button, like this below, but maybe in transparent option (if one such exists) ?
The cover below is for Mustang, but maybe can be cut down and modified for your car, and maybe repainted black so it does not attract her (they dont sell any color except red)

image.thumb.png.5568d8feb5d7c032ab8b6331b2ea4fc8.png

• Thanks 1

Ah! My apologies, I thought you meant the Power option to boost the acceleration. The button you refer to is called the stop/start in my Prius, hence my misinterpretation.

So very sorry. Indeed, perhaps a cover would work.

• Like 1

Also. pressing the power button 3 times in succession can cause emergency shutdown too.

I'm not certain, but it might be that once done you have to stop and the the transmission into (P)ark before you can start again - which could be a problem on a motorway or similar.

• Thanks 1

As others said, a single button press while driving shouldn't do anything - you either need to push and hold, or stab the button three times. So unless there's high probability of either of those happening, I wouldn't worry too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, furtula said:

This is from my 07 Auris user manual which also has smart entry and start system, so i presume the same rule applies to your model.

It would be best to get an owners manual for your own model, and to verify.

image.thumb.png.2b736983f0a490fa3280d6acb8a15fdb.png

Have you considered getting some kind of protective cover for the button, like this below, but maybe in transparent option (if one such exists) ?
The cover below is for Mustang, but maybe can be cut down and modified for your car, and maybe repainted black so it does not attract her (they dont sell any color except red)

image.thumb.png.5568d8feb5d7c032ab8b6331b2ea4fc8.png

Thanks to All!

Thought of some protective cover as pictured above, but i did not know it exist. Will check that.

Even thougth abot some sort of screene that maybe could be attached in the seam betwen engine power button and Radio/cd on/of

DSC_0674.JPG

No need to worry about that, you can literally press any buttons even P or R and nothing will happen, it’s all been taught by the engineers. Only worry if you drive under 5mph and hit the P or Start button then the car will shut down and goes into P mode and stop immediately so can get rear ended, hit yourself in the wheel or even break your transmission p lock . 

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2019 at 12:59 PM, TonyHSD said:

No need to worry about that, you can literally press any buttons even P or R and nothing will happen, it’s all been taught by the engineers. Only worry if you drive under 5mph and hit the P or Start button then the car will shut down and goes into P mode and stop immediately so can get rear ended, hit yourself in the wheel or even break your transmission p lock . 

Thanks. 

I'll look outfor /beware of that