Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

what to look for when buying yaris mk2 1.4d4d

sham123456

Hi looking to buy a yaris mk2 1.4d4d any tips on what to look out for. thanks

Do an MOT history check - https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Should provide an informal check of the mileage, and can also see what items the car has failed on previously, when the next MOT is due, whether the car has any current advisories, and whether it has any outstanding safety recalls.

Also do a recall check using Toyota's recall checker which, as well as safety recalls, checks for outstanding voluntary customer service campaigns - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker

Wife and I both had mk2 Yaris 1.4 diesels. Hers was a 58 plate and had a 5 gear box, mine was 59 plate with 6 gear box. The 6 gear was much better to drive and slightly better fuel. The 6 gear was doing just over 60mpg. You may find the back seats can slide forward to give more boot space ideal 2 people on holidays. The rear seat back rests would also recline a bit.

probably just need to watch if you don’t want DPF and the hassle associated. 

we rated them very nice cars.

thanks im also looking at getting the semi auto is there any common issue with these

The Multi Mode Transmission - a manual gearbox with automated clutch - can be expensive to repair if the actuator gives trouble, though remanufactured ones are available.

48 minutes ago, sham123456 said:

thanks im also looking at getting the semi auto is there any common issue with these

You may be sorry quickly. A recent thread highlighted a poster bought a used Toyota with multi mode transmission and immediately had trouble.

2 hours ago, sham123456 said:

Don't, is my input. Been there and they are an absolute pile of poo. You will quickly regret it, be prepared for mega expense if/when it has problems. It's going to be 8 or more years old too.

The most common issue I found is that the computer which controls it is "thick". It may be driven in manual mode but that sort of defeats the object. They sometimes, however, throw a wobbler in "M" too.

One of Toyota's poorer decisions to adopt it. They learned from the error with the Mk3 and replaced the MMT with Multidrive (CVT). Much better if your finances can stretch to a Mk 3.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Here’s what to look for when buying the Toyota Yaris, especially if you’re buying older models:

- Check the condition of the gearbox
- Take a second look at the timing chain cover in the front of the engine
- The power, torque, and acceleration
- Transmission and CO2 emission
- Airbag facility
- Road tax rates for older models
- Efficacy of the air condition system

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links