Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil change

Patrick1234

Hello was just wondering would u need new washers for the plugs on a gearbox.. I am going to change the oil on a 2009 2l d4d auris.. on my clio I changed a copper washer on it before . Is this required?? Thanks 

Desirable to change I would say. Not a big cost anyway. Copper wash will squish and likely not be effective in keeping oil in.

Any parts shop has the washers, they are dirt cheap.

I know some people heat them up, supposedly that makes them malleable again, so they can be reused.

17 minutes ago, furtula said:

I know some people heat them up, supposedly that makes them malleable again, so they can be reused.

Cherry red and quench in cold water will anneal them successfully.

Will they be copper? The engine drain plug washer is made from some sort of hard fibre.

They are aluminium, you can reuse them again if this is the first oil change but for the next one you have to change them for sure, they are very important especially when you are using torque wrench and tighten within the specs.., old washer just add 1-5 Nm on top but no more! 

Regards