Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gears

Patrick1234

Hello.. my 2009 Toyota auris d4d is hard to get into reverse when cold.. I give the clutch a few goes and it still is reluctant to get into reverse.. all other gears are ok.. when the car is warm it goes into reverse no bother.. what could this be.. a friend off mine said that Toyota auris is known for bad gearbox.. is this true and what are ur thoughts on this problem??

Could be that your clutch is dragging. If you try to force it, is there a crunching sound?

But since you say that it all goes fine once warmed up, then it could be just the oil.

No crunching at all.. I didn't want to mention oil just to see what people think.  I think it is oil for there is no history of the gear box oil being changed and there is 114000 mile on her.  I'm going to change the oil and see if that makes a difference.. what do you mean by clutch dragging??

Clutch dragging is when the clutch does not completely disengage from the flywheel, and it's touching just enough to spin a bit,  which prevents you from engaging reverse because reverse gear has no synchro on it to compensate for the movement.

Try selecting a forward gear first, ie go from neutral to 4th to reverse.

Gearbox oil change as usual maintenance it’s the first thing, than you can change the brake fluid for the clutch, bleed the air out too. Other possible things are worn synchros or clutch master or slave cylinders. All needs to be checked one by one and excluding so you get the reason for that. Castrol does very good gear oil if within the oem spec of your car you have to check, this oil helps exactly with problems similar to yours, I personally used it in Mitsubishi Lancer , many lancers and that oil was best of all others. 

I had problems getting into 1st gear during cold weather, when still, on my old mazda 3.

Maybe 2-3 out of 10 times it would not go in. Did some research, got some oil, replaced, problem got even worse, now it was like would not go into gear, and if you force, it was kinda crunchy. When rolling all fine. Replaced the oil again, was a bit better, but still way off from the original one.

My advice, do some research what other people are using.

Switching to Redline MTL 75W-80 gear oil will probably help a lot.

My 2011 Auris has days as well too of not going into gears especially when cold.

I am going to be doing an oil change on the gearbox using the oil from toyota.

Will just need to check prices.
Car currently is on 205 000km

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

If you're changing the gearbox oil, it doesn't hurt to have the box properly flushed out while you're at it. I'm a great believer in changing transmission oil, it rarely fails to improve a notchy box.