Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 4 Key Fob Battery Replacement?

GreenJuice

Just got the low Battery warning at 2 yrs 6 months from new ownership. I see there are videos and posted advice on how to replace the key fob Battery, but all appear to be for older or other models. Anyone with experience of changing their own key fob Battery and any advice to offer, please?

Many thanks

Remove the mechanical key from the fob. Stick a flat bladed screwdriver in the hole that the mechanical key came out of and twist to separate the two halves. Replace the CR2032 Battery. Push the two halves back together. Insert the mechanical key. Done.

This was on page 568 of my manual in the Electronic Key Battery section.

• Like 1

Frostyballs advice should be followed. I've recently replaced the Battery in the key fob following the straightforward instructions from the online user manual. It'd be worth downloading & saving a permanent copy of the user manual so that you can refer to it as necessary.

• Like 1

And the key fob Battery, CR2032, is very common, so you should pick it up reasonable price. Supermarkets sell them, but I got pack of 4 off eBay for a few pounds, good make as well. Dealer will supply/fit for £4 probably. It’s the same Battery that most computers use to hold basic info, like time/date, for when computer is switched off, that’s why they common.

• Like 1

I always use my mechanical key to open it. There's an indentation in the plastic which is the same dimension, so you don't mess up the plastic.

• Like 3

Thank you all very much for your prompt and helpful responses!

All completed in just minutes today.@frostyballs &@TheProfessor thank you for the link and idea to download the e-manual. It certainly has more detailed information than the hard copy provided with the car.
@furtula I also used the mechanical key instead of a screwdriver. It was a perfect fit and therefore the whole change was done without any additional tools.@catlover CR2032 is indeed very common and easy to obtain.

I had a Gen2 and a Gen3 for 3 -5 years each before this car and interestingly managed to avoid having to change this Battery before. Perhaps I was just lucky. In my research, I found some reports that the 'low battery' warning could be false and caused by interference and things like having both fobs (main and spare) in the car. Even today I was able to lock/unlock the car from ~30m. However, I decided to go ahead anyway as we have a long road trip coming up soon.

In case anyone reading this would like to see an example on video; this one was done on a US model but is otherwise identical to what I did:

Once I popped the cover open, I found the electronic module within it was stuck and had to wiggle it a bit to release. Attached is a photo showing why. It is held in place with six tiny vertical prongs, so it needed to be eased up in a straight line. You can also see the electronic module is not a perfect rectangular shape and can only be located in one orientation. In any case, there is a clear 'map' of the correct orientation on the cover!
83605a4fa5148e97c7e92246e248b65e.jpg

Just in case it hasn’t been mentioned, watch out for cheap batteries. The ones I got from work, are just slightly smaller and don’t fit in snuggly, so it fails to touch the contacts properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GreenJuice said:

...I had a Gen2 and a Gen3 for 3 -5 years each before this car and interestingly managed to avoid having to change this battery before. Perhaps I was just lucky...

There is a standard 20k/2 year service item to replace the fob Battery, so maybe that explains why you haven't had to do it before.  On my last 20k Service my dealer charged £3.26 incl vat for the Battery (and fitting, of course).  I know I could get one cheaper, but hardly worth the effort.

BTW - a fob can be put into power saving mode by holding the lock button and quickly pressing unlock at the same time.  The fob gives 2 double flashes to confirm.  Worth doing on the spare key, as although after some days it will enter a limited power saving mode, any movement will wake it up again for a while.  This should also eliminate the risk of the relay theft that's becoming such a threat (where on cars with keyless start/entry, thieves with a pair of electronic relay devices can pick up the key's signal from outside and fool the car into thinking the key is present, and open it, start and drive away).

• Like 1

There is a standard 20k/2 year service item to replace the fob battery, so maybe that explains why you haven't had to do it before.  On my last 20k Service my dealer charged £3.26 incl vat for the battery (and fitting, of course).

Hmmm...
Now that is more disturbing. I have just looked at the receipt of my 20k/2yr service from 6 months ago (see photo) and it has an item listed as 'Battery, TRANSMI' for £4.17

I didn't think twice at the time, but now I am wondering if they put in a dud Battery or actually didn't do it at all. Not good for a Toyota dealer.

As you say it probably isn't worth the effort making a fuss about it now. Even if I took it up at the next service. Perhaps I should have called the dealer when I first saw the 'low battery' warning...??!
f3081d50579a057802d13de582e6afc6.jpg

3 minutes ago, GreenJuice said:

... 'BATTERY, TRANSMI' for £4.17...

...now I am wondering if they put in a dud battery or actually didn't do it at all...

...probably isn't worth the effort making a fuss about it now. Even if I took it up at the next service...

I see London dealers are still dearer than my backwater (Norwich) one!  That's how it is on my invoice (apart from the price! - and yours is ex-vat!).

If it were my dealer, I would make my service manager aware if only to alert him he may have a box of sub-standard batteries (though they may have all been used by now).

In some places I'd ask for a refund more out of principal, but in the case of my dealer I've had such a good relationship in the 17 years I've dealt with them and they sometimes do little things without charge that they could easily ask me to pay for.

• Like 1

@PeteB thank you again for this.
Relationships in the London area are often more distant, with the turnover of staff, although I do believe I have been a good customer to them!

I have sent a message to their Service Manager (informing of a possible batch of substandard batteries and not asking for anything in return) and will see what they say....

• Like 1