Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space Saver Tyre

Tintaglia

Hello all, first post here!

I have a 2014 13.3 pre-facelift.  When I picked it up from the dealer it was missing the tyre sealant in the boot.  I have complained about that but I was thinking that I will get a space saver anyway.  I have read most of threads I can find here but I want to be really certain before I buy one,  My questions are:  It has 15" 4-stud alloys on it so can I just assume that a 15" spacesaver listed for my model will fit?  And does anyone know if the well is big enough?

The car is immaculate and I'm quite pleased with it generally but the throttle response drives us both nuts!  Both the lack of feel on the pedal and the hanging.  We can drive around it but the hanging is particularly bad, much worse than on any other car I've driven since they started using drive by wire throttles.  I'm wondering if I could do something about it, or if mine is worse for some reason?  

• Like 1

The cans of sealant have an expiry date - suppose it could have been removed either by the previous owner or the dealer due to it having reached the expiry date.

I'd be inclined to ask the dealer to contribute towards a spacesaver instead of supplying a fresh can of sealant.

The spacesaver should fit without problem.

Just a thought - is the spacesaver for yours 14 or 15 inch.

You need two part numbers to get a spare wheel in current generation Yaris

42600-0D900 - Tools & fitting kit

42600-0DM51- Temporary spare wheel and tyre 16"

Together they are about £110 but as Frosty suggests ask your dealer to contribution the cost of the tyre glue towards the total cost

• Like 1

Is the price for the genuine Toyota tyre repair goo quite high?  I had an idea that it was £45 for the Mazda equivalent, and that was some years ago.

• Like 1

I think I will just get one from eBay.  There are quite a few second hand but unused with tools for £40 ish.  I'm not going use it unless absolutely necessary anyway and not for long either!  The sealers are useless for many punctures especially if the tyre has run flat for any distance at all or cut on a kerb.   Thanks all for your help. 🙂   

• Like 1

I understand a full size wheel and tyre will fit in the spare wheel well. May be worth sourcing one for less than a space-saver! Wish I'd known this for forking out for mine!

You'd also need a jack and wheel-brace.

• Like 1

Got a spacesaver from eBay.  It's a 2014 unused wheel and tyre.  I paid £40 in the end after using the 'Make An Offer' feature for only the second time. 🙂  Bartered down from £54!  😈  Thanks again everyone for your help.  Kudos to Parklands Toyota here in Cornwall who have agreed to replace the missing 'goo' (belt and braces now!)  I already had a jack lying around.     

I already had a jack lying around.     

What about a wheel brace and locking wheel nut key?

I have the wheel lock key (even took a pic of the lock number just in case).  I spent a long time in the motor trade so a spare socket and breaker bar is no problem, 🙂  The original wheel brace supplied in those tool kits are next to useless anyway.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 10:30 AM, Tintaglia said:

The car is immaculate and I'm quite pleased with it generally but the throttle response drives us both nuts!  Both the lack of feel on the pedal and the hanging.  We can drive around it but the hanging is particularly bad, much worse than on any other car I've driven since they started using drive by wire throttles.  I'm wondering if I could do something about it, or if mine is worse for some reason?  

Well I have kind of answered my own question.  Yesterday I had a look and found a good cheap/free fix for the throttle hanging on gearchanges.  I understand that a small amount of throttle hang is by design but some Toyotas are worse than others really affecting the normal pleasant drive of the earlier cars and making proper crisp, smooth gearchanges every time (even with 47 years experience of driving hundreds of different cars) all but impossible.  The difference was obvious immediately.  I will add a post if allowed to the 'How to' guides with pics when I get time.    

• Like 1

I'll await the cure for throttle hanging with interest. Both my last two cars suffered this and like you I find it really annoying.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've added the throttle fix as mentioned above.   It's important to note that it is more about smoothing gearchanges rather than the actual throttle response (which is another thing that needs fixing)  What on earth are Toyota doing to their normal lovely easy drive?