Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo car mat fitting / securing

John Irving

Having trouble getting the right driver's mat and fixings for a '63 reg. Aygo.  Looking at the floor pan, it has two pegs 314mm apart.  I ordered a set from a very reputable aftermarket manufacturer and they've sent the wrong one.  I'm hoping the paper template they're sending me will confirm the right mat and they can then make it for me.

Still unanswered however is how the mat fixes to the two locating pegs in the driver's footwell, under the front seat.  The mat will come with two eyelets made from plastic clamped into holes in the carpet itself.  The eyelets have a fairly large oval cut-out at their centres.  Hopefully with the replacement mat, these will fit over the pegs in the footwell.  But the question is - what hold the mat down?  Is it just the fact the pegs are poking through that stops the mat from moving, or is there something you push on top of the pegs to lock the mat in place?

I sort of wish I'd just have gone and bought the official Toyota ones, but this place sells heavier guage / harder wearing ones at a better price.

Hi John, welcome to TOC 🙂

I have a suspicion from your description that they may be sending mats with the wrong fixing but never having owned an Aygo I am not sure when they swapped over the style of fixings.

Assuming that they are similar to Avensis etc. the older ones are just pegs that holes in the mat slip over but the later ones have a rotating capsule-shape that you fit the mat over & then swivel it 90 degrees so that they can't lift.

a photo of what your car is fitted with would probably help. 😉

For those reading this thread that don’t know, if you fit a floor mat in the drivers footwell it has to be fixed down or the car will fail it’s mot. Some testers will remove the mat and place in boot to save a failure.

here is a link for some car mat clips i have used in the past

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Mat-Carpet-Clips-Fixing-Grips-Clamps-Floor-Holders-Sleeves-Premium-Black/382550288440?hash=item5911c62838:m:mVvDT8hMvbprwqlljAwHciQ

once fitted the mats are removed like oem mats

fitting will take you less than 10 minutes

• Like 1

Not seen those before Mark.

Mk1 Aygo had a PSA type fitting of a tapered post sticking out of the main carpet early models had 1 later had 2, the accessory mats have either 1 or 2 holes that press down over the posts locking the mat in place.

MK2 Aygo uses the latest Toyota fixing of an oval post with a twist top where you push the mat over the post then twist the top to lock the mat 

In accessory carpet.jfif In main carpet.jfif

you cut a hole in your mat and place the 2 round halves one on each side then press together

to secure, then fit the lower half with the pin in the carpet making sure the pin points to the front of the car

fitting in this direction prevents the mat from moving

when fitted it looks oem

2 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Mk1 Aygo had a PSA type fitting of a tapered post sticking out of the main carpet early models had 1 later had 2, the accessory mats have either 1 or 2 holes that press down over the posts locking the mat in place.

MK2 Aygo uses the latest Toyota fixing of an oval post with a twist top where you push the mat over the post then twist the top to lock the mat 

In accessory carpet.jfif 1.88 kB · 2 downloads In main carpet.jfif 10.44 kB · 0 downloads

I'll go with Lee's explanation for the moment - until the paper template arrives and I can see what the replacement mat will be like.  Looks like I've got a few alternative fixing methods to think about too.  The fixing clips I'd purchased without thinking were these ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323351938969

These, I believe, are a complete red herring for the Aygo model, but fit some other Toyota cars.

My Aygo only has posts and they don't unscrew as far as I can tell.  The slight taper brought into contact with the correct sized hole in the car mat inserts I hope will mean they'll wedge-on and that will be that.  There's no "bobble" as in the second photo included by Lee above - I'd be more convinced right now if there were - but I'll wait and see.

Just as a side note, I have managed to source the correct wheel bolts, OE sheradized galvanic coating - and another set of Toyota locking wheel nuts.  Got them all fitted with a calibrated torque wrench too, so I'm not a complete spanner.  The ones on the car had all gone rusty - with the rest of the car looking pretty much as it would have left the production line, they were spoiling the otherwise pretty much pristine exterior.  Did them one-by-one and managed to clean the bolt holes in the alloy wheels too, so the wheels now match the rest of the car.

Not sure how long the galvanised coating lasts but I suppose I could always try and clean up the bolts I've taken out, electroplate them, and just keep cycling them around when they start to look a bit tatty.

Thanks for the Welcome by the way.  I'm sure I'll be posting more as I get into running and maintaining the car.  All a bit new to me at the moment...

my mk1 Aygo had mats that just pushed down over pegs and were held in place by those.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem if anyone can help.Got a 2011 Aygo with a 2 peg mat fixing.Place I ordered mats from has sent 1 peg fixing saying 2 peg didn't come in until 2013 is this right? Also drivers mat seems too short for footwell as it doesn't cover carpet heelpad 

23 hours ago, Binky Huckerback said:

I have a similar problem if anyone can help.Got a 2011 Aygo with a 2 peg mat fixing.Place I ordered mats from has sent 1 peg fixing saying 2 peg didn't come in until 2013 is this right? Also drivers mat seems too short for footwell as it doesn't cover carpet heelpad 

Factory change point was November 2011, it is possible that your carpet was changed as the older carpet was superseded by the later 2 pole type. Other than the pole count the mats are the same so get your supplier to send the later type with two holes. 

The correct mats stay well clear of the throttle pedal so do appear a bit short but it is intentional.