Do Not Sell My Personal Information

clunk when lifting off clutch after shifting from 1st to 2nd

Clownparade

Hi everyone

Anybody got any solutions for this?

If I shift from 1st to 2nd really slowly then the clunk is not present, but that would mean accelerating pretty much at a snail's pace. 

Alternatively,  at what rpm/ speed do you tend to shift to 2nd gear?

Which engine do you have?

UK Aygos only have the 1.0 litre Toyota engine.

1 hour ago, furtula said:

Which engine do you have?

1KR-FE

.........my best shot would be worn, or even just loose engine/gearbox mount(s).

Replaced a few of these on my "former life" in the trade ! ( Not necessarily on Aygo, but usually a good starting point with the symptoms given on any car.).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clownparade said:

Hi everyone

Anybody got any solutions for this?

If I shift from 1st to 2nd really slowly then the clunk is not present, but that would mean accelerating pretty much at a snail's pace. 

Alternatively,  at what rpm/ speed do you tend to shift to 2nd gear?

Mine does the same, slight clunk in gears 1 to 3 if accelerating briskly. Doesn't do it when lifting clutch slowly. Has done it for the past 20k miles, so not worried that the drivetrain is gonna explode or anything. Have heard other Aygos make the same clunk, so assume it's an Aygo thing, although some louder than others. I usually shift around the 3k rpm mark.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 7:06 AM, REDPEPPER said:

.........my best shot would be worn, or even just loose engine/gearbox mount(s).

Replaced a few of these on my "former life" in the trade ! ( Not necessarily on Aygo, but usually a good starting point with the symptoms given on any car.).

22 hours ago, fordulike said:

Mine does the same, slight clunk in gears 1 to 3 if accelerating briskly. Doesn't do it when lifting clutch slowly. Has done it for the past 20k miles, so not worried that the drivetrain is gonna explode or anything. Have heard other Aygos make the same clunk, so assume it's an Aygo thing, although some louder than others. I usually shift around the 3k rpm mark.

Thanks for your replies! 

On 5/21/2019 at 4:57 PM, fordulike said:

Can't say in the 8 1/2 years of my Peugeot 107 with the same drivetrain as the Aygo I've had this clunk? Only clunk I hear is when I'm idle and I move from 2nd to 1st and I can hear it. But it's always been like that and I think it's a combination of the linkage and the gearbox really. Nothing that makes you think it's about to blow up.

And for the record, hard acceleration I change at about 4,500rpm, normal around town is between 2,500rpm/3,000rpm. I remember reading that the peak torque for these engines are around 3,500/4,000 rpm

• 2 weeks later...

So a mechanical clunk can be cured by high octane fuel? How's that work, then :confused1:

11 minutes ago, Billyboy81 said:

So a mechanical clunk can be cured by high octane fuel? How's that work, then :confused1:

You may be sceptical, but switching to BP Ultimate, actually improved my Aygo's road handling and braking efficiency 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1