Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paint Warranty

BigRedSwitch

I've noticed a patch of paintwork, about 2" square that is slightly lighter than the rest of the car.  I didn't buy the car new but I did get it from a Toyota main dealer.  Can anyone tells me what Toyota's warranty on paintwork is before I go to the dealer?

It is possible it could be a previous small repair. Two quick checks are to see if the area 'sounds' different as you tap it with something sharp, and also see whether any condensation appears to look 'different' in that area which could signify a plastics based filler underneath.

2 hours ago, Mooly said:

It is possible it could be a previous small repair. Two quick checks are to see if the area 'sounds' different as you tap it with something sharp, and also see whether any condensation appears to look 'different' in that area which could signify a plastics based filler underneath.

I've confirmed with a small magnet that the "grab" and the sound is the same in the affected area.  With a rather mean 3-year paintwork warranty I'm left to my own devices and I'll just leave it as-is.

Most manufacturers offer a similar period for their paintwork and surface rust warranty -

VW 3 years - Kia 5 years/100,000 miles - Mazda 3 years - SSangyong 3 years/60,000 miles - Honda 3 years - Peugeot 3 years - Ford 3 years - MG 3 years - Renault 3 years - etc

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Most manufacturers offer a similar period for their paintwork and surface rust warranty -

VW 3 years - Kia 5 years/100,000 miles - Mazda 3 years - SSangyong 3 years/60,000 miles - Honda 3 years - Peugeot 3 years - Ford 3 years - MG 3 years - Renault 3 years - etc

I stand corrected. Thanks Mike.

1 hour ago, BigRedSwitch said:

I've confirmed with a small magnet that the "grab" and the sound is the same in the affected area.  With a rather mean 3-year paintwork warranty I'm left to my own devices and I'll just leave it as-is.

I suppose that is good in a way 🙂 

Has it always had this patch or has it gone worse over time? I'm still wondering if its seen some very minor work in that area, perhaps a scratch. There is something that I think from memory is called an amine stain and that can occur when when paint is applied over certain base materials that haven't been properly sealed. It tends to become more prominent over time as it bleaches through. 

Likely the result of a so-called 'smart repair' - possibly done at the dealer's as part of pre-sale prep.

The paints some of the smart repairers use are not always especially durable.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks everyone.  I'll just keep an eye on it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links