Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering wheel a bit harder to turn in Prius+ and Prius gen 3 than Gen 4 ?

HSDish

I've found/experience that the steering wheel in Prius+ and Prius gen 3 is a bit harder to turn ( not so that is a problem though) than it is in Prius Gen 4 ?

What can this depend on ? (if my observation is right)

Less power steering assistance?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Less power steering assistance?

Seems likely/possible

Over the last few years I have tried changing the tyres and wheels on several cars - as the tyres get narrower the steering becomes a little easier to turn.

For example, a 195/65 x 15 is an easier steer than the exact the same car on a 205/55 x 16.

Are the cars you are comparing fitted with the same tyre sizes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've not driven a Prius+, but I don't recall noticing any deference between my Gen 3 & 4 Prius, both seemed pretty light but sufficiently weighted.  Both also had 15" wheels, rather than the more common 17", the latter being wider (which is why they cause worse Drag Coefficient and fuel consumption), so maybe that makes the steering slightly heavier.

Also the rubber compound in the tyres can make a difference - many years ago I replaced all 4 tyres on a car and swapped Pirellis (very grippy, but didn't last long) for Michelin XZX which were claimed to be harder wearing.  The (non power assisted) steering was noticeably lighter on the Michelins.

• Thanks 1

You can try calibrating the power steering using Techstream, or maybe there will be option to even adjust this.

I replaced power steering module on mine, wheel is too light now 😕 so i bought a cable to calibrate it, and hopefully fix.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gerg said:

Over the last few years I have tried changing the tyres and wheels on several cars - as the tyres get narrower the steering becomes a little easier to turn.

For example, a 195/65 x 15 is an easier steer than the exact the same car on a 205/55 x 16.

Have the cars you are comparing got the same tyre sizes?

I'm not sure about that. I'll see if I can figure out

My Prius+ got Bridgestone Turanza 205/60 R16 92V ER33

( I do think the gen3 that I drove got 15" and the gen 4 got 16" )

11 minutes ago, furtula said:

You can try calibrating the power steering using Techstream, or maybe there will be option to even adjust this.

I replaced power steering module on mine, wheel is too light now 😕 so i bought a cable to calibrate it, and hopefully fix.

I'll ask my local toyota dealer/garage about this

My AurisTS HSD 2014 got 205/55/16 94 XL GoodYear Efficient Grip Performance, A rolling resistance B wetgrip 68 sound in EU marking and its a lot lighter to turn the steering wheel than my Prius+ with Bridgestone Turanza 205/60 R16 92V ER33  Crolling resistance C wetgrip 69 sound in EU marking.

This isnt a crusial problem but... it would be nice if the Prius+ was a bit lighter to steer

37 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I've not driven a Prius+, but I don't recall noticing any deference bwteen my Gen 3 & 4 Prius, both seemed pretty light but sufficiently weighted.  Both also had 15" wheels, rather than the more common 17", the latter being wider (which is why they cause worse Drag Coefficient and fuel consumption), so maybe that makes the steering slightly heavier.

Also the rubber compound in the tyres can make a difference - many years ago I replaced all 4 tyres on a car and swapped Pirellis (very gripped, but didn't last long) for Michelin XZX which were claimed to be harder wearing.  The (non power assisted) steering was noticeably lighter on the Michelins.

I've just driven one gen 3 and it was an 2012 Prius PHEV ( ie phev gen 1 ) with 134000 km about 83263.73976 miles on the clock. and one Prius gen 4 (non phev) 2016 so. my references arent that good 🙂

Different Tyres (makes and models), and different pressures make a huge difference in steering wheel respond and weight, also age of tyres too. The lightest steering you will get from a car fitted with winter tyres, even they are 17” size the steering may feel lighter than a car fitted with worn out summer tyres on size 15” for example. Wheel alignment is also important factor, if the car is out of correct settings may put strain on steering wheel and make the car feels unstable on higher speeds 

• Thanks 1