Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Verso D4D help

dscott15

Hello all.

Looking for a bit of help if anyone has any suggetions here.

We purchased a 2011 Toyota Verso Diesel 2.0 with 44K miles in September, 2017. Our family has grown and my research led me to a Verso as a good reliable 7-seater. As most everyone said, its a Toyota...they run forever.

By December, I felt a moments hesitation in the engine while driving and the engine service light came on with a VSC error. I looked online and found a post with the simple fix of opening and closing the fuel cap. It seemed to work.

Then the hesitation and fault again. My garage checked it, cleared it and Bob's your uncle. Car started right back up. A week later it was back. Same process. And then again a few days later. I was advised to drive it long and hard to clear out any blockage, which I did. During that trip, same error, but now worse noise and sluggishness from the engine...and it went into limp mode. Mechanic cleaned/replaced filters, cleared the fault. And then the problem again. And again. Each time our mechanic connected it to his computer, found the VCS error, checked for proper fuel/air flow, electrical connections, checked the fuel injectors, etc. and then cleared the fault. And then it happened again, but much worse.

This car has now been off the road since June, 2018 and been to three mechanics, including its current home at a Toyota mechanics training centre in Belfast.

In the paast 11 months:

1. the engine wiring harness has been replaced

2. the fuel injectors have been replaced,

3. the EGR and airways has been thoroughly cleaned,

4. both the ECU and the other smaller computer unit (?) have been replaced

5. a small vacuum part (I forget the part name) direct from Toyota in Belgium has been replaced

6. the latest software has been uploaded.

No joy...and no one can seem to figure out what the problem is.

I've been told by a Toyota mechanic who has asked to remain nameless that this type of problem is not an uncommon fault with 2.0 D4D from that era but Toyota won't acknowledge it.

I'm told he car runs fine on the motorway, but then hesitates, revs down and goes into a near stall in city-type traffic, usually when in 4th gear around 2000rpms when the engine has already warmed up.

Has anyone here experienced this problem or have any advice. We're in for it too much to scrap it. This is our first Toyota bought because everyone kept telling us how great and durable they were—run forever with little maintenance costs. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thank you.

What is the actual fault code?

Hi Frosty,

I’ll check with the garage. The hard copies of the reports are in the car’s glove box up in Belfast. 

Thanks for replying. 

Cheers,

daniel

Does the car have DPF?

No, it doesn’t. Is that good news or bad news? 

That's another thing to rule out.

Have you replaced the fuel filter?

• 3 months later...