Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid air con regas

Panthor

Yes that's true, but some do. The current i20 has been kept for a bit longer (it will be four years old later in the year), but it will be changed this year, probably for another or the Kia clone, the Rio.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got around to speaking with Swansea Toyota and they told me the car would need a leak test first and then if that was successful a regas would be from £130. If a leak was detected then I would be charged £110 for the leak test and then any additional costs if I decided to go ahead.

is this likely to be the same at all dealers now? If not I’m tempted to travel.

10 minutes ago, Panthor said:

Just got around to speaking with Swansea Toyota and they told me the car would need a leak test first and then if that was successful a regas would be from £130. If a leak was detected then I would be charged £110 for the leak test and then any additional costs if I decided to go ahead.

Auris hybrid uses r134a - same gas as all cars around world. The difference is the compressor oil - ND11 non conductive as the compressor is electric not belt driven. 

You need to find a good garage which will “regas” and use ND11 oil as specs in hybrids. The cost should be same as usual plus you will need to pay extra for your “hybrid oil”(lets say £10-15£ more)

£130 that’s current Toyota price. It is a total rip off. £130 for air con regas it’s Bentley or Aston Martin range isn’t?

my auris has air con problem but because it loose a gas quick I complaint for warranty repair and currently is under repair.

I had few cars before Toyota but never needed “regassing” or “top up” previous vehicles.

before auris I had mercedes 2001 year for 8 years and never had an problem with air condition despite it was an old car with high mileage. Good air con will not leak - based on my car experience. Thank you

thanks

Matt

13 minutes ago, Matt85uk said:

Auris hybrid uses r134a - same gas as all cars around world.

Later hybrids, petrols and diesels use R1234yf gas, which is more expensive but is supposed to be more environmentally friendly. Some manufacturers started using this from 2014 in preparation for its use becoming compulsory in new cars. Both of our cars use R1234yf.

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Later hybrids, petrols and diesels use R1234yf gas, which is more expensive but is supposed to be more environmentally friendly. Some manufacturers started using this from 2014 in preparation for its use becoming compulsory in new cars. Both of our cars use R1234yf.

Yes but I mean his particular car should be r134a.😀

thanks

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 1:03 PM, Panthor said:

Panther, did you find anywhere to do a regas in the end? I llive in Swansea with a 2010 Prius which I am sure uses the older gas. I rang Toyota Swansea and fell off my chair :shocking: cheers valmiki

The under bonnet sticker should tell you exactly what refrigerant and oil is used. 

On 7/26/2019 at 11:04 AM, valmiki said:

Panther, did you find anywhere to do a regas in the end? I llive in Swansea with a 2010 Prius which I am sure uses the older gas. I rang Toyota Swansea and fell off my chair :shocking: cheers valmiki

Unfortunately no one else anywhere near would touch it, it’s actually booked in with Toyota Swansea on Monday

6 hours ago, Panthor said:

Unfortunately no one else anywhere near would touch it, it’s actually booked in with Toyota Swansea on Monday

Ahh ok, I was going to phone around and see if I could take the car anywhere else. Let me know how you get on. Cheers valmiki

Well the auris passed the leak test and had the air con regarded and is now working perfectly, lovely cold air.

How much did it cost all together? 

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

How much did it cost all together? 

Pressure test is £107.94

if that is a pass then they will regas which then the total charge is £130 and they don’t charge for the pressure test

Well it’s not cheap. £130 but could have be worse if fail the test and got charged £108 just for test. 

Thanks a lot. 

• 9 months later...

As an air conditioning engineer of 37+ years, let me tell you that there is a lot of utter nonsense talked about air conditioning by "re-gassers" in the automotive industry which is passed off as fact. Myself & other AC engineers often ROFL due to the stories getting told to wives/acquaintances whilst they are in the tyre bashers or even car main dealer service centres....  This is because these people get most of their "knowledge" from the salesmen that sell them the automatic re-gassing machines (or, in the case of a service centre receptionist, second hand from a mechanics apprentice.

Read on for truth.

FICTION: The gas "gets thin/wears out/naturally escapes/the fairies steal it at night"
FACT: The refrigerant gas in cars doesn't wear out & theoretically, the gas should be in the system for life. Only blended refrigerants change physical properties when there is a leak due to the blend fractions leaking at different rates.

2. FACT: Most hybrid/electric cars use electric compressors which automatically eliminates the weakest point in the system - the compressor shaft seal. This means they are much less likely to leak - My own 2008 Prius has never had any gas added this past 12 years. Ever.

3. FACT: Shaft Seals & Hoses are the most common causes of small leaks & a financial (and environmental) judgement call has to be made in terms of finding & eliminating the leaks. However, as total gas volumes in cars get smaller (due to improvements in system desgin & changes in the type of gas), the impact of a very small leak gets bigger......

4. FACT: The big leaks are generally mechanical damage stones into condenser etc

5. FACT: Hybrid/Electric cars cannot be re-gassed using a "standard" automotive industry re-gassing machine as these premix the (conductive) PAG oil with the refrigerant as it is introduced - Hybrid/Electric cars need POE oil which is much less conductive & won't short the windings out.

6. FACT: Buying a small can of gas from one of the DIY car accessory shops is the biggest waste of money if your car has a sizeable leak & should (probably will) be illegal on environmental grounds - an AC engineer would be in court for getting caught adding gas to a system know to be leaking under F-Gas regulations..

Ultimately,  You wouldn't take your car to an air conditioning engineer to get a punture fixed - don't take your car to a tyre fitter to get the aircon fixed!!

Hope the above provides you guys with the facts needed to make the right decisions

16 minutes ago, steve matthews said:

Buying a small can of gas from one of the DIY car accessory shops

As I understand it, Joe Public hasn't been able to do that since 2015

That isn't the stuff that is outlawed.

R12 gas is banned within the EU. 

R134a and the newer R1234yf are available.

32 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

R12 gas is banned within the EU. 

R134a and the newer R1234yf are available.

But you can't buy it unless you are a responsible person.

From January 1st 2015 companies supplying you with gas will require f-gas certification information from customers prior to the supply of HFC refrigerant gases.

You need to be certified.

Obviously not happening .....

Just because they have it for sale doesn't mean they will sell it to you.  At some point in the process they will ask for your registration number.  If they don't, they are breaking the law.

Just tried it with Amazon, and no reg number asked for. As it was a marketplace seller, the responsibility lies with them not Amazon.