Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat Nav Spring 2019 Update Version v 6.13. OWL

Mr Wolf

Yet again I went through the tortuous exercise of updating my sat nav.

First step was to download the update file from the My Toyota website to my pc. Despite the fact that my broadband wifi connection operates at average 70mps it took 40 minutes to download. Next step was to transfer the file contents from the pc to a memory stick. This took another 30 minutes. The final step involved starting the car up, inserting the memory stick in the USB port and following the on screen instructions. This final stage took another 50 minutes to complete and engine had to be running throughout.

All in all the whole update process took over 2 hours. Surely, Toyota could use more modern technology and better customer friendly processes? I believe that some people get their local franchise dealer to do the updates for them but presumably this is not cheap?

If you use a USB3 memory stick then the transfer of files from PC to stick is much quicker.

Don't do what I did:

Copy files to memory stick - start car - insert stick and follow prompts - check version number at the end only to find I had reinstalled the older map.  Duh!!

The process would also be easier if you could actually SEE the USB socket.  I bought a 2-way USB hub which allows you to see what you are doing - handy for swapping my various USB stick music collections.

4 hours ago, Vortipor said:

The process would also be easier if you could actually SEE the USB socket.  I bought a 2-way USB hub which allows you to see what you are doing - handy for swapping my various USB stick music collections.

Agreed Ed. I even have trouble inserting the memory stick in the USB port!

The first time I did an update I wrongly installed the Western Europe map which doesn't include the UK and takes even longer to install! I then had to uninstall it and then install Eastern Europe and sat in the car with engine running for nearly 2 and a half hours in all! 

A point regarding a usb3 memory stick. To get the very high transfer of data speed it needs to be connected to a usb3 memory port. If you connect a usb3 stick into a usb2 port the transfer will be at usb2 speed. Likewise if you connect a usb2 memory stick into a usb3 port the transfer will be at usb2 speed. In other words like for like.

8 hours ago, Catlover said:

A point regarding a usb3 memory stick. To get the very high transfer of data speed it needs to be connected to a usb3 memory port. If you connect a usb3 stick into a usb2 port the transfer will be at usb2 speed.

Yup, it will always be at the speed of the slowest link. There is remarkable difference in the transfer speed of different memory sticks though even of the same USB connection specification. 

Another thing worth doing to speed up the process is to manage the maps so that you only download/install those that you need e.g. I never take the car to the Continent so I only download/install UK maps.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links