Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2002 avensis t22 d4d sluggish

cgmstone

I have a 2002 t22 d4d and there is just no go in it very dead taking off through the gears and not lively wen in higher gears have new fuel filter and cleaned egr anyone any recommendations what could be the problem 

Thanks in advance 

Cgm

Cleaning the EGR valve helped some on mine, the fuel filter replacement helped a little more, not a great improvement overall, though. I then spotted that one of the vacuum lines on the turbo boost control valve was off. Replacing it did nothing, but that was when I noticed the actuator was jammed solid. A minute or two with some water pump pliers, WD40 and silicone grease spray and I had the control arm on the actuator freed up. First gear uphill start in my street had me pressed back into my seat. I thought turbos were supposed to increase fuel efficiency but my MPG figures tumbled to rock bottom for a week or two after the turbo was fixed!😁

For a quick diagnosis, if you pull the vacuum line off the VVT actuator valve, engine running, the control arm should drop, and raise again when you reconnect the line. This should happen smoothly in around a second or less. Doesn't mean the turbo is okay internally, but it is a starting point.

IMG_20190526_183424.jpg

Hi Paul9

I shall try this over the next few days when I get a chance to and report my findings 

Thanks

CGM

Hi all

Just an update I have checked the actuator arm and this was not the problem as it was free and working fine.

Think my biggest problem is my uncle bought the car baran new and never drove over 50mph and that's leading me to think the cat is all sooted up and that's wat leading to the lack of power am going to try a bottle off CATACLEAN from Halfords into the tank but not expecting great results but worth a try other than that just keep driving (harder than my uncle lol) and hope it clears.

If anyone else has any ideas there more than welcome cos would like to liven up this old girl again 

Thanks 

CGM

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links