Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine noise when accelerating

Jon Green

Hi,

I'm a new owner of 2007 Yaris 1.3. It has 131 000 km under it and has gone through regular oil change and maintenance. Last oil change was 2000 km ago. And all liquid levels are fine. 5W-30 oil has been used. 

I'm noticing weird sounds from the engine area when I'm accelerating fast or pressing the pedal fully when in low RPM, no matter what gear. As english isn't my native language I find it hard to describe it with words so I'm providing audio links with this. To me it sounds like some sort of a rattle or gurggling or air going through broken seal or something. It doesn't happen when in neutral. Around 1500-2000 RPM seems to be when it happens.

The sound is not so pronounced in the recordings but maybe if you know what you are looking for you will hear it. When driving the sound is easily heard. 

https://www.drive.google.com/file/d/1eim-mdbbA6ObX-f_dbXFJQR3O3JYwIvV/view?usp=sharing

https://www.drive.google.com/file/d/1k5QH6wgxnysgwXj64ep7xYbP22G7lkPc/view?usp=sharing

My 1.6 Auris has the same sound when you are in low gear and press the pedal to the floor.

Does not sound like a defect to me.

My 2006 1.3 Yaris does this as well, its more pronounced if I have the drivers window open, and worse when the engine is cold. Usually comes when in second gear or third gear at 1500 - 2000RPM with accelerator pedal pressed, often coming out of sharp bends when I have to slow down and then speed up again but without changing down gears. My drivebelt also squeeks and chirps when starting the engine from cold also, and I am wondering if this rattling has anything to do with the pulleys on the serpentine belt of which there are 2 idlers, and maybe one of them is worn and rattles when cold. I've replaced the drivebelt before and this did not cure the issue, although I did feel slight wear on the upper idler pulley, above the crankshaft pulley, that the back of the belt passes over. I took it to a garage to investigate but he said the pulleys were fine and it was a "misalignment" issue causing belt noise, and it was common on Mk2 Yaris models, and not to worry about it.

I can't hear enough from the videos but from the symptoms the alternator freewheel could be the culprit for both cars.  Most modern alternators have a freewheel as part of the pulley. (sometimes known as an overrunning alternator pulley)  If it fails, it usually causes belt slippage on revving, noises on starting and/or the belt bouncing around.  A special tool is needed to replace it and you would need to remove the alternator first but these tools are available reasonably online if you like to do your own work. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2019 at 10:51 PM, Tintaglia said:

I can't hear enough from the videos but from the symptoms the alternator freewheel could be the culprit for both cars.  Most modern alternators have a freewheel as part of the pulley. (sometimes known as an overrunning alternator pulley)  If it fails, it usually causes belt slippage on revving, noises on starting and/or the belt bouncing around.  A special tool is needed to replace it and you would need to remove the alternator first but these tools are available reasonably online if you like to do your own work. 🙂 

Interesting, thanks! Any links to the tool you mention?

I don't know what size tool Toyotas use.  I have only VW.  Most garages have a large kit that comprises of most of them.   You could do some research and find the correct sized tool individually or take the alternator off and pay a small friendly garage to fit the freewheel for you.  Or you could just replace the whole alternator since they (usually) come complete with a freewheel.  If the freewheel has been seized for a long time it may have damaged the alternator anyway.  There is a video that gives you an idea here.  

• Like 1

I checked my 2006 1.3 and it does not have a decoupler pulley on the alternator, its just as standard multi-V pulley. The car has only got 30K miles on it and has never had the alternator changed so this is how it would have come out of the factory. It does not have an automatic belt tensioner either, the tension is set by moving the alternator back and forth and locking it in position, then fine adjusting the tension manually using a small spanner on an adjuster bolt on the alternator mounting bracket, with a final tightening up of the mounting. The belt on my car is not loose and appears correctly tensioned and the belt was replaced 6000 miles ago to try to cure the chirping noise I get every time the car is started from cold, which dissappears as the engine warms up. Fitting a new belt did not solve the squeeking and chirping issue, it still does it and I just have to put up with it now, as it doesn't appear to cause any damage to the belt. I think there is a slight misalignment of the belt pulleys causing slight slippage when cold, and moreso when cold and damp weather, as it doesnt do it as much in the summer months.

Well, I feel your pain but I don't have the answer to your problem.  I have replaced a few squeaky belts on older Yarises over the years .  They were mostly much quieter afterwards but not all perfect..  I agree that it's some kind of design fault (or characteristic!) but I don't know why all similar models are not affected in the same way.  You could try spraying some silicone belt dressing for temporary respite..           

It was quiet at first following the belt replacement, which I had to remove the engine mounting to do as well, so not that simple a job. After a few weeks the chirping noise on cold starts returned, and I then thought it might be the idler pulley bearings, on the idler that the back side of the belt wraps round, so I loosened the belt to check the pulley and it seemed to have small amount of play, but as I couldnt remove the engine mount to remove the pulley to replace it without a load of hassle, I took car to garage to replace the idler, and garage told me they didnt replace it as they couldnt find a problem with it and car only had 24000 miles on the clock at the time, so the pulley would be unlikely to be the cause of the noise. They did spray belt dressing on the belt and this quieted it down for a short while, but the noise soon came back. Along with the fussy clutch with its very low biting point, which these cars also seem prone to, squeeking belt drives on the early mk 2 models seem another common issue. As long as the noise doesnt get worse, or the water pump starts leaking, I was told to just live with the issue as a quirk of the model. I've been less impressed with the Mk2 over my old early Mk1 1999 1.0CDX which I feel was a better car.