Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

17 inch Wheel but Only 16 inch Space Savers Available!

Eddie G

After getting round to ordering a spare wheel with summer weather and long trips away i asked at my local Toyota dealer about a space saver spare wheel with having a gunk puncher repair bottle which came with my Yaris GR Sport, dealer Emailed Toyota who said they could not recommend a 16 inch Space Saver as my wheels are 17 inch, does that mean am stuck with the gunk puncher repaire kit? or possible having to get a full size wheel to use as a spare?, any advice would be much appreciated, am no big fan of gunk bottle Repair Kits. 

Maybe there is some official Toyota advice on this, which I have no way of knowing, but I can't see why a normal 16" safety spare for a Yaris won't fit your one.  Unless Toyota have fitted oversize front brakes or wheel hubs to your model, which I very much doubt, then the dimensions should still all work out.

The difference in circumference between the normal 16" tyres and your 17" tyres is small (2.5%?), so not a big deal for a temporary measure.

All the more so since it is good practice to put the safety spare (if needed) onto a back wheel by shuffling the wheels to suit.  There is no chance of your (GR) back brakes being too big to fit a 'normal' Yaris safety spare.

So, if there is a safety spare for the 16" wheel car then I can't see why it won't fit yours, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. 

But the difference in grip between your 17" tyre and the puny safety spare will be bigger than with any of the other tyre options available, maybe that's what Toyota was thinking of when they said it wasn't recommended.  I wonder if the differences in grip cause a problem with the VSC etc. in a 'critical' situation?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply Gerg, was thinking if it fits on ok then i would order the spacesaver as it is only a temporary measure to get me to a garage to fix the regular wheel, Toyota possibly too hung up on specs being different (Size&Grip?) with car being under warranty? dealer recommended waiting till out of warranty before trying it and recommended using breakdown service if Gunk Bottle repair kit does not work! which leaves me thinking what to do for the best? dealer did say they have brought the issue of spare tyes up and that they should be offered as a option across the whole range. 

Got ours from eBay along with a jack and wheelbrace.  £60ish if my memory serves me correctly.

It fits coz I tried it.

Does it really really matter if the diameter is a bit wrong?  Our wheel rims are bigger but the aspect ratio is smaller so the overall diameter is similar.  Sorry, but Mrs Mick F has the car for a few days so I can't check the accurate facts.

It's better to have a spacesaver tyre that will fit the wheel-nuts and you can carry on to a tyre fixing place, than shoving that horrible muck inside the punctured tyre in the hope that it'll work.  Even then, you will find your favourite tyre place wouldn't touch a repair with a barge pole.

Mick.

• Thanks 1

Never thought about using one of those at side of the road but will probley go with the space saver thanks 👍

9 hours ago, Gerg said:

My friend has a kit same/similar to this and it works. I saw him using it on one occasion. For £6.50 well worth it in my opinion, can’t lose.

• Like 1

As Mick F says, it's the overall diameter that counts. The spacesaver is probably the same diameter, measured to the tyre tread, as the 17" tyre diameter.

I have 15" wheels, the spacesaver is 16" but the overall diameter is the same.

And, as he says, does it really matter? It's only a temporary measure to get you home/ to the nearest tyre place/garage. Plus it's speed limited too. So, as long as the number of wheel nuts/bolts is the same and at the same p.c.d. again, does it matter.

Those repair kits are only a temporary "fix" too until a proper, legal, repair can be carried out to British Standard - BSAU159. No good if your tyre suffers a blow out or split.

Thanks Joe and for the space saver info Peter 👍  

3 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

As Mick F says, it's the overall diameter that counts. The spacesaver is probably the same diameter, measured to the tyre tread, as the 17" tyre diameter.

I have 15" wheels, the spacesaver is 16" but the overall diameter is the same.

And, as he says, does it really matter? It's only a temporary measure to get you home/ to the nearest tyre place/garage. Plus it's speed limited too. So, as long as the number of wheel nuts/bolts is the same and at the same p.c.d. again, does it matter.

Those repair kits are only a temporary "fix" too until a proper, legal, repair can be carried out to British Standard - BSAU159. No good if your tyre suffers a blow out or split.

Hi Peter, but how often does one get a puncture, never mind a blowout or split. 

For £6.50 I think it would be good to have in the vehicle first aid box. Of course would need a tyre inflator of some sort as well.

" Hi Peter, but how often does one get a puncture, never mind a blowout or split. "

One has had to replace three tyres, over the last couple of years, due to splits in the sidewalls of two and a big hole in another. Must be the roads I use!

The "first aid" still needs to be repaired properly though. Also if the hole is too close to the tyre edge it should not be repaired, as in the third example of mine. The middle 65% is o.k. to repair if memory serves.

Not had a puncture for decades.  Can't remember the last one.

Hang on a sec, yes I can! ........... but it was in 2001 Renault Clio and I fitted the (full sized) spare.  We'd stayed over at a B+B "up north" and the following morning we had a flat tyre.  Sorted it in the carpark and drove south back to Cornwall.

Mick.