Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'T' Sport - Reving at 1200 RPM at start-up...

Stephanb

My 03 'T' Sport runs at 1200 RPM when it's cold...cuts back OK when it warmed up, but I wondered if this behaviour is normal for the model or if I need to fix something?

Any guidance would be very much appreciated...

Cheers. 

Hi,

Yes, its normal on all models, its effectively the Auto Choke holding the revs up until a preset temp is reached, otherwise you would risk stalling too easily during warm up.

Also if the Air Con is switched on, that usually causes an increase in rpm to about 1200 when at tickover.

1200 is a bit low......   Toyotas are generally programmed to rev fast at start up.  My old Camry I keep in Thailand runs at about 1600 or so - and that's a 'cold' start at around 35 deg. C. !   Mind you it is fully warmed up in about 3 minutes and the revs drop to 650..

• 1 month later...

1200 RPM is about right when cold, and 800RPM when up to temp. Sometimes mine acts weird and idles at 1800 RPM but this happened more when it was really cold outside. Also think its related to the idle control being dirty and sticking which ain't easy to clean but a common problem on the 2ZZ-GE.