Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic gearbox fluid change

MsNess

Hi there, I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with changing the automatic gearbox fluid. Mine looks more like used engine oil! 

The car is a 2001 avensis cdx estate 2.0 auto 1az-fse engine. I had given it an oil change and other bits of newness yesterday but hadn't taken the dirt covers off the other side to see (it only occurred to me to look at the level afterwards 🙄

From a quick scan of the net I am thinking there are 2, 10mm drain plugs which will let out most of the old fluid but not all and possibly a filter inside? My motor factor hasn't one on the website so am not 100% whether that is right or not. 

Am I correct in thinking it's case of getting all the oil fluid out, possibly with one of those hand pumps for the last bit, if no filter but having to drop a sump if there is and replacing new fluid down the dipstick hole? 

Cheers in advance. 

Ness

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Topic title edited to reflect subject

Moved to the Avensis club

I *think* your transmission is the U241E. This holds about 8.5L but you can only drain about 3.5L from the sump (rest stays in valve body and TC). To change it all in one go you really need a flushing machine.  Drain plug is one 10mm Allen. Renew washer.

Unless the fluid is really dirty/gritty then I wouldn't bother replacing the filter. Whenever I have taken out one of these Aisin-Warner filters from a working gearbox there has been minimal contamination.  If you want to change it then take off the sump and undo the (3 ?) retaining bolts to drop the filter. Bolts are different lengths, so make a note. Refit sump with new gasket NO SEALANT and don't overtighten the little bolts. Gasket should be just nipped up, not being squeezed out!

The way I refresh fluid is change out 3.5L. Run car for a week and change out 3.5L again.  That way you have renewed 75% of the fluid without too much mess. Use only Toyota/Aisin T-IV spec. but its not cheap.

Thanks mrfixer, that sounds like a plan. 

The last evidence of the atf being changed was at 60000m back in 2005! We are now upto 168000 and it is black! I was worried about flushing as I had read it could clog the little galleries in the tc, so I think the gentle approach would be to do it in stages. I could also do an extra one the week after that again. 

Do you know if the filter is a strainer or more like an oil filter? If it's more of a strainer I think I'll leave it alone. 

As for the fluid, the handbook says only to use t-iv, then later to use dextron ii or iii 🤔 so I have plumped for a triple QX that covers those specs! 

Hopefully you can read the write up at the bottom of the screen shot! 

Thanks, 

Ness 

Screenshot_20190528-140419.png

The filter is basically a strainer.

I am not much in favour of the 'multi-vehicle' ATF's. I just don't see how one fluid can meet the requirements of transmissions which use such diverse OE fluids. Many years ago I used a 'universal' fluid in a Honda AT. The shifts were terrible. Switched back to HondaMatic OE ATF and the gearbox was transformed.  If you want to save money you can find lower-cost T-IV spec fluids from suppliers like Mannol - do a search on eBay.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links