Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Leak

stu_cole

Hi Forum

I'm after a few pointers

When walking back to the car I noticed a small puddle on the drivers side

I looked underneath the car and there was coolant leaking from one of the holes in the undertray

I looked at the expansion tank and water level looks OK

I looked at the radiator hoses and these were dry

Any ideas on where the leak could be coming from

The assumption is from the very bottom of the radiator somewhere or a leaky seal on a water pump?

Any general guidance would be appreciated

Thanks

Not excess water from the air conditioning?

Don't think so.....The air con is not switched on and the fluid is slightly pink......I've had the car since 2012 and it's never done this before.

Check the water pump, might have came from the weep hole.

Any idea when was the last time water pump was changed? 

If you don't identify anything, you can remove the plastic cover, place  carboard underneath, and it should give you nice indication from where it's coming.

Yeap, water pumps are well known on this Toyota models 1.6 especially for premature failures. 

The water pump has never been replaced. I'm assuming that the water pump is on the drivers side of the vehicle and that a gasket could be failing or has failed as the amount of coolant loss isn't much and it is only noticeable when the vehicle is at rest and its not much of a puddle. I can't see any leakage from hoses or wetness in the radiator cores....... Its a 2.0 Diesel D4D

The water pumps has a so called weep hole, it indicate when the water pump is near it's end of life, and you get symptoms like yours.

Water pump is on the side where all the pulleys are at, and should be powered by the engine. Check for white residue around the pump, or just place some cardboard underneath it, if you are certain it's the culprit.

11 hours ago, stu_cole said:

Hi Forum

I'm after a few pointers

When walking back to the car I noticed a small puddle on the drivers side

I looked underneath the car and there was coolant leaking from one of the holes in the undertray

I looked at the expansion tank and water level looks OK

I looked at the radiator hoses and these were dry

Any ideas on where the leak could be coming from

The assumption is from the very bottom of the radiator somewhere or a leaky seal on a water pump?

Any general guidance would be appreciated

Thanks

How does your engine sound? Does it sound more harsh/loud than normal?

In the early stages of my water pump going, I noticed that the coolant level would drop to around or slightly below the low mark. Even if I topped it up (which I did a few times) it would return to this level after a short period of time. Later on the engine started making more noise and my local mechanic said water pump is on it's way out even though it ran fine. Incidentally RRG Toyota Huddersfield sold me this car knowing it's water pump was on it's way out and lied to me in my face when I took it back as the coolant level was low when I bought it. They told me the level is normal even though it was below the low line. Me being a but of a dimwit at the time and thinking it is a reputable garage and they wouldn't do anything shady trusted them. More fool me. It looks like I too will be needing a new water pump soon as these same symptoms have appeared in my car even though I replaced the pump only a few years back!!! (just looked back I changed ny water pump at 67k, now at ~85k and will need a new one soon-ish!) Not very good!

Check the coolant level and see what it is. See if the engine sounds more harsh. Get ready to buy a new pump, avoid Circoli I heard they are rubbish, I bought Airtex last time but that doesn't seem to have lasted that long either 😞

This is all good stuff forumneers 🙂 - Engine sounds normal and the YT video in one of the threads with a dodgy water pump bearing doesn't seem to be the same in my case.

It is a bit difficult to tell though as the diesel lump is a bit noisy when you have your head buried in there

Going to pop the car to the garage I know and see if he can fit it in.... He's pretty good and allows me to buy the parts and then just charge labour..... I think I'll have to leave it for a couple of days as he will have other stuff on..... At least today looks like a good day for a cycle🚴👍

• Like 1

A couple of pictures of the wet patch....it's location.....and it's size (that's a piece of A4 paper)

IMG_20190529_070513.jpg

IMG_20190529_070532.jpg

IMG_20190529_070556.jpg

IMG_20190529_070704.jpg

That's too far away from the engine to be the water pump, more probably a lose or cracked hose, or maybe a radiator leak in a corner.

image.thumb.png.859da67ab83788ad7018b69b92b7aa8e.png

Nice one 🙂 - It's probably going to be the radiator then.....the more expensive option!!

Just had a look at GSF Car Parts and a radiator is about £135 and Water Pump is £45.....This gives me a guide for parts and add a couple of hours labour and I have a rough price to prepare my wallet for 🙂

It could also be just a faulty hose that's connected to the expansion tank, the pipes from it are the closes in location to what you posted.

If it was the radiator, the car would be loosing more fluid since the system gets pressurized once the car is running, there is some plastic underneath the radiator that could be diverting the water that way.

Putting some cardboard underneath the hoses, and some underneath the radiator should help identify the culprit.

The car is at my garage now.....somebody else suggested head gasket......lets see what the grease monkey finds 🙂

So, it appears that it is the radiator - There is a small crack in the bottom corner......... Garage has one on order and it's being done next Thursday. Just got ensure the coolant is topped up until then.

My grease monkey does say it's a bit of a phaff on the Auris as quite a lot of stuff has to come off to get the radiator in.

Has anyone out there is Toyotaland that has ever replaced their rad..... how painful was it?

Hi All 

Just closing the loop on this issue. It was the radiator and it had gone in the corner. It's been replaced and I think I got a bit of a deal as the front end has to come off the car and quite a lot of stuff nuts unbolting to get the rad out. It came in at £220 (Radiator / Labour / Anti-Freeze). The pictures are the old rad that was taken out

IMG_20190606_154510.jpg

IMG_20190606_154519.jpg

IMG_20190606_154528.jpg

IMG_20190606_154540.jpg

IMG_20190606_154605.jpg

IMG_20190606_154624.jpg