Do Not Sell My Personal Information

severe rust on the sunroof frame

bonjo

for a while, I noticed the rubber seal bulging in a couple of areas around the runroof. DEcided to put it right and to my horror found the metal frame had swelled up because of rust.

Not sure what went wrong cause rthe bodywork is rust free.

Has anyone had the same issue?

Wondering if it is best to have the frame cleaned and repainted or replaced

Most probably the seals went bad due to age and sun, and got deformed, thus keeping the water in, a perfect recipe for some rust to develop.

You can get this fixed, metal cleaned, rust treated and etc, but those repairs usually last 3 years or so, until it slowly starts coming back.

Whatever you do, it's not really a cheap repair, it all depends how nice you want it to look.

You can get it cleaned, rust treated and repaired,  and maybe think of putting one of those plastic/vinyl coatings on top, should be cheaper then painting, but offer equal if not better protection, and you might even do the whole thing yourself, if you have the place/time for it.

That's just my personal take on a budget-ish fix.

I found this on my 2005 Rav4 just after I bought it, so I took it back to the seller, and got an agreement to split the cost of repair.  It's too soon to say whether it is a permanent fix.

At the time, I researched sourcing a new panel, and I think there was a special offer  (about £300, if I remember correctly).  Clearing old stock, I suspect.

thank you for your feedback & the links

I don't have a leak issue and the roof is not leaking. I think the top side (outside) lip of the rubber seal allows some water past it (there is usually a little pool of water in the corner depending as I do not not park on a flat ground. I expect the rubber is treated with some mastic/ sealant to stop this from happening and in may case, this has failed.

I wonder how much the metal glass surround costs these days from Mr T, I may end up restoring the current one

Part No 63201-42072.  I think it is in undercoat, so add the painting.

• 9 months later...

I ended up taking the sunroof off, removing the seal and cleaning + treating the rust. It was quite bad. Unfortunately without realizing, the seal removal had also streched it so when fitting it back, the lip would not sit flush in some places. It was cosmetic as the design and the rubber sealant I put on under made sure it was waterproof.

Fast forward a couple of months, I decided to hund for a second hand unit from breaker yards. During this process I found out this is a common problemon most of them but you rarely notice it because it is well hidden!

After sizing up few suppliers and their offering (some were in as bad or worse condition than mine!), I bought one for about £80 all in and fitted it. But I applied plenty of rust inhibitor on the inside when the weakness is before mounting it😀

So I am satisfied with the outcome but had I found the part at that price sooner, I would gone straight for it!

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 9:02 AM, bonjo said:

I ended up taking the sunroof off, removing the seal and cleaning + treating the rust. It was quite bad. Unfortunately without realizing, the seal removal had also streched it so when fitting it back, the lip would not sit flush in some places. It was cosmetic as the design and the rubber sealant I put on under made sure it was waterproof.

Fast forward a couple of months, I decided to hund for a second hand unit from breaker yards. During this process I found out this is a common problemon most of them but you rarely notice it because it is well hidden!

After sizing up few suppliers and their offering (some were in as bad or worse condition than mine!), I bought one for about £80 all in and fitted it. But I applied plenty of rust inhibitor on the inside when the weakness is before mounting it😀

So I am satisfied with the outcome but had I found the part at that price sooner, I would gone straight for it!

Hi

Do you have details of any of the suppliers you spoke with? I have exactly the same problem.