Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat Nav audio volume

Dave R.

2018 Rav4 - I'm struggling to find how to change the volume of Sat Nav voice output instructions..... I know I have a "Mute" button on the satnav home screen to turn off all output, but even when this is grey (i.e. not selected) we sometimes don't get spoken navigation instructions.  I also know that when the sat-nav is actually speaking, I can use the radio volume knob to increase/decrease the satnav output - but once the nav has finished speaking, the volume reverts back to controlling radio volume - so it is only any use if you know the satnav is speaking at the time!.   HAVE been into setup options for SatNav voice output, but again, once the satnav has decided to mute the voice, there seems to be no easy way to get it back!

Add to that (or perhaps in addition to that) how do I get the satnav to repeat the last spoken instruction? (as at least, then I could use the volume control to set the voice output volume!)

Any simple hints?  

My simplest answer to date is to forget the car satnav voice output and rely on Waze on my phone!

Bottom-line here is that the Toyota nav screens are a pretty useless user interface & hard to navigate!

47 minutes ago, Dave R. said:

HAVE been into setup options for SatNav voice output, but again, once the satnav has decided to mute the voice, there seems to be no easy way to get it back!

Assuming that you haven't actually pressed the mute  on the map screen  then all you should need to do is go into setup>general>navigation volume & adjust it (i find 2 probably the best for me in my Avensis). However, the satnav volume is linked to the audio volume (so that if you turn up your music the satnav volume will increase relative to that to be heard over it) so I imagine that it is possible that if you have the audio on but turned right down then the nav too may be inaudible? 

Does this help. Sat Nav owners manual

663BBA52-0DAC-4FBB-B433-A38E9ABB56F3.jpeg

If the media system is Toyota Touch 2 and Go then this may help

10AD2B96-57B6-4258-AD9B-73D250674594.jpeg

And this for Touch 2 and Go

3466A768-8263-4772-B6DD-AFF10056B9BF.jpeg

Thanks for the pointers - Wife is due back from a couple of days away in the Rav4 today (hence wasn't able to faff around looking for an answer on the car directly).  I'll try the directions above (though believe she did try setting the volume as advised)  I think the link with radio volume could be the answer (somewhat illogical in the way it works)

9 minutes ago, Dave R. said:

I think the link with radio volume could be the answer (somewhat illogical in the way it works)

The logic is that you should always be able to hear the nav instructions over any radio/music playing even when you have turned up the radio/music.

Hi Heidfirst - yes I get the idea of keeping the nav volume above the radio - problem is the nav volume seems to sometimes go so low as to be inaudible & then is impossible to get back to a decent level!

Hopefully will get the chance to play a bit more this weekend

I find that when I switch from radio to USB I have to increase the volume considerably to hear the USB clearly, the sat nav volume increases proportionally so I can still hear it.  If I then go back to radio, I have to turn the volume down as it is too loud but then find the sat nav volume also lowers too much and I can hardly hear it.  In this case, when driving, I have to try to catch when a sat nav instruction is being given and increase the volume as I find it too distracting to go into the settings to turn the nav volume up.

i have had this problem on all toyota touch 2 with go systems and it’s very annoying at times.

6 hours ago, Dave R. said:

Hi Heidfirst - yes I get the idea of keeping the nav volume above the radio - problem is the nav volume seems to sometimes go so low as to be inaudible & then is impossible to get back to a decent level!

I had a play tonight before I came in from the car: 

Navigation volume set to +2. Audio off but set a trip & navigation commands clearly audible. Audio on but turned right down (I would normally have it ~25-30 when driving) & with a trip set navigation commands inaudible. So, I would suggest that either you have turned the audio down too low or you have turned the nav. volume down at some point (e.g. you were adjusting audio volume down when a navigation command was issued) or a combination of both.

2 hours ago, thud said:

I find that when I switch from radio to USB I have to increase the volume considerably to hear the USB clearly, the sat nav volume increases proportionally so I can still hear it.  If I then go back to radio, I have to turn the volume down as it is too loud but then find the sat nav volume also lowers too much and I can hardly hear it.  

This is because of the different output levels of the radio (although it can also happen between different radio stations) & your USB - iirc there is a setting to try to minimise this or you could just record your tracks to your USB at a higher recording level.

Btw, also iirc I found that sound levels could vary between different Toyota firmware updates

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links