Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashcam powered by OBD

frenchreg068

In the LHD version (Hybrid) the interior fuse box is in a very awkward position just under the bonnet release handle. I wondered if I could power it through the OBD, which is quite accessible.  If so what do I need to plug into the OBD to obtain the 5 volts of the dash cam.   What dash cam do others use and recommend and how easy is it to conceal the cable especially if I select one with the 2nd camera for the rear.

Recommended dashcams - see recent topic  

Having looked at www.Techmoan.com (for those who don't known him he is a guy who reviews all sorts of tech equipment. He is very much worth a look.) he recommends the AUKEY DR 02D twin dash cams, which I ordered today.  I will either hard wire it (if I can find a live all the time) or by OBD.  Either have a Battery saver to avoid running the 12 volt Battery down.  Any way will post again when up and running.

watch out for interference with DAB reception, apparently it's known for it.

Thanks for the info, our Yaris does not have DAB radio, doesn't exist currently in France.

3 hours ago, frenchreg068 said:

Thanks for the info, our Yaris does not have DAB radio, doesn't exist currently in France.

apparently it does (at least in DAB+ flavour), indeed a new law has been enacted requiring future radios on sale to have that capability within a specified timescale. Still, if it reflects the UK experience station choice will go up but sound quality down ...

https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/dab-progresses-in-france

I'd personally just get a hardwire kit with the correct usb connector for your Dashcam, usually micro or mini, and wire to an ignition switched live. Permanent live isn't much use for dashcams as the extra (shock sensor) recording functionality is very limited in practical use. Don't power things through the OBD, you are best off not blowing the fuse for the OBD port. Courtesy lights may be a decent option for the live tap, if you can't get to a fusebox.