Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help please! Yaris D-4D 2003 Engine

gtfcniles

Hi,

Really hoping I can get some guidance here. My GF bought a MINI Hatchback One, Hatchback, 2003, 1364cc, Diesel. 5 days after buying it the headgasket has gone and god knows what else.

I've read elsewhere that it's the same engine from a Toyota Yaris (D-4D), looking at trying to source one of these, seen them for around £400 with a warranty. 

Can anyone confirm this is correct, and if so does it have to be a certain year or can I purchase a newer engine (a 2009 one for example) does it have the same mounts and things for swapping them out or does it have to be a 2002-2006 (I think).

Any help much appreciated, she spent too much on the car already (£500 recovering and them trying to fix the problem), she's skint so i'm lending her the money and if possible i'll try swapping it out (mechanical technician by trade but i'm not used to cars, as I work on larger drives).

Thanks!

Chris

The Mini of that generation did use the Toyota 1.4 D4D engine (1ND-TV). The same was also used in the Yaris. 

As Frosty above.

But the engine changed post 2005.

Pre 2003 engines will have the same HG vulnerability..

So best are 2003 to 2005 engines..

Is the 2006 one suitable? Or should I try find a 2003-2005, I take it later ones are totally different.

Just trying to get this sorted for her, I wish she had waited for me because so many alarm bells for me when shes been going through stuff, like 200 miles in the past year on the MOT's.....saying the service history will be sent to her later.

Basically conned her good nature. Some people are scum. She's got 3 kids and has had to take 2 weeks off work now unpaid because she can't get them to child care and get to work on time without the car, shes only on low wages as it is.

Does anyone have any experience replacing the head gasket, how difficult a job is it? Realise the cover might need reskimmed if its warped and if its the block thats damage then thats pretty much a scrap lump. Can you do a head gasket change without removing the engine?

Any guides available for replacing the headgasket on this engine?

Was the car from a dealer? If so you may have a comeback. And by dealer I mean any trader, not necessarily a main dealer.

Re guides for help...... have you looked on YouTube?

Yeh had a look around but struggling to find one for this engine in the mini, I will continue searching! 

I wish it was....I've thought about small claims court as the advert clearly lying considering its done 200 miles in the last year....

But a mot won’t note cylinder head problems

200 miles in a year for a car described as "An excellent runner"

So, it was a private sale? If so maybe a small claims might be best. Assuming the car cost between £1500-£3000 then the cost could be £115 ,less if you submit claim online. Under £1500 would cheaper. If you going down that route I would inform the seller of your serious intention - they may give money back to you. Beware, you may win the small claims but you may not get the money. However the seller then would have a CCJ county court judgement, against them OR you pay more money to engage bailiffs.  Of course you may lose the case.

• Like 1

I don't think you have much chance chasing a private seller, but a dealer or trader is a different kettle of fish.

When was it bought and who from?

3 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

I don't think you have much chance chasing a private seller, but a dealer or trader is a different kettle of fish.

When was it bought and who from?

Original post, first paragraph...... 5 days after buying it head gasket went.

I know I can only try. I'm gonna strip the old head gasket bits off and see if it is just that, I highly doubt its jsut that but if I can do the head gasket it will just cost me 100 and a lot of my time. If I have to replace the engine it's going to be nearer 1000...seems like its worth the chance. I'll wait till I've stripped it before I order the kit cos if its more than new refurbed engine way to go. Can strip the old one down for parts, it's got 3 new injectors in it at least. 

If anyone local to Cleethorpes has any interest fixing stuff and helping my little blonde cupcake of useless car buying gf out I'm sure we can come to some arrangement for beer tokens or something in helping her out! I will figure it out eventually, but not much info out there for changing a d4d engine on a mini. 

Thanks for all your responses, you've really helped! Sorry I asked before but is a 2006 engine a definate no go? Shame the newer ones don't fit... There's a cracking 2010 one with only 27k on clock for 400 😩

Seeing as you are of the frame of mind that there could well be other problems apart from head gasket...... why not try approaching the seller and tell them that you going to small claim court. They may just refund the money and take the car back, after all it was only 5 days into the purchase. The longer you leave it before you tell them their is a serious problem the less chance of getting anything positive. 

I think, for what it’s worth, it sounds like small claims court would be good idea..... all depends what was said at point of sale, and only the seller and your lady friend know that.

Thanks for help Catlover

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links