Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 D4D Verso 7 seater - Prize please - longest time engine light on

fat Bob

I am still looking for a printed or at minimum a pdf service manual for my diesel Toyota.

I have decided the engine light is just a pleasant visual indication  to show you the engine is there, it's now been on for 10 years.

Plugging a computer into the car says the preheat for the ignition has a problem - I disagree the car will start at -10C.

I turn it off when it is MOT time and it returns like a faithful Labrador a few days later.

It hasn't been near a Toyota garage for 12 years as the services were expensive and the car never felt any difference and any 12 year old can change the oil & filter.

I have been changing the engine oil and filter regularly and use fully synthetic oil, it has never used any oil.

I had the belt and water pump replaced at 85,000 miles at an independent garage. The car has now done 110,000 miles.

I once adjusted the handbrake and am still on my second set of brake pads.

I just had my third set of tyres, they don't last long do they?

If I can get a manual I am thinking of changing the fuel filter - if it has one - just as a 15 year birthday present.

I have just had a recall notice for the airbag/bags they say they may go off by themselves - I'd have thought if they were they'd had plenty of time to do so.

But the recall is free, so I have booked the car in. I think I'll leave the engine warning light on to see what the Toyota garage says.

I need this car to do at least 500,000 miles, so what should I do to ensure longevity?

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Despite the engine warning light there is probably zero wrong with your engine.  Unfortunately under the new MOT rules your warning light is an MOT failure, so you'll need to do a bit more investigation.  I had the same situation with my Avensis but it's a petrol, so maybe members with diesel experience can help.

13 hours ago, fat Bob said:

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Bob said.  “I need the car to do at least 500,000 miles, so what should I do to ensure longevity?”

I say:   Keep taking the pills

if you had the car 15 years and done 110,000 miles, that means to see 500k miles you going to be around 95, and that’s if you started driving the car at age 20. Hope you live to see it. 👍

• Haha 1

Garth, I turn the engine warning light off when it goes for an MOT, it comes back a few days later.

Catlover I mean to live forever or die in the attempt.

• Like 1