Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 1.8 petrol auto MPG....what do you get ?

Sternal

...I have a 2009 tourer 1.8 multidrive 

how do I know if it’s CVT or Auto ? 

When im on the motorway if I flick the shifter over I can manually change into 7th gear revs raise a tad. 

Wouldnt it be more economical to drive in manual mode ??? 

On a run I can get about 380/400 miles from a tank ( 38mpg) nowhere near manufacturers numbers. 

Servicing up to date - it’s always been this bad. 

Any thoughts ???

'Multidrive' is Toyota's name for their CVT

1 hour ago, Sternal said:

On a run I can get about 380/400 miles from a tank ( 38mpg) nowhere near manufacturers numbers. 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2009/18-v-matic-automatic-tourer

Mpg varies greatly according to the journey profile - how fast you drive, how much acceleration & braking etc.

When the range counts down to 0 you should still have ~ 9-10l of reserve fuel left in the tank.

Based upon Toyota's on screen MPG, my 2011 TR tourer gives me 37/38 mpg short trips knocking about, 31/32 city driving, but my regular 120 mile trip on the M1 can show over 50 mpg driving at 70mph.

PS. even now to me it's still the best looking car in the supermarket car park!

• Haha 1

I wouldn't  moan too much about the fuel consumption of the Avensis auto or manual. On the face book page somebody with a 2.0l litre saloon is also getting 44 mpg on a 220 mile round trip. 
My car (manual) average 36 mpg, and goes higher on long runs. 
I see smaller cars with smaller engines like Ford Fiesta 1.0l turbo barely getting 30 mpg!  

38mpg for Avensis petrol- auto is a realistic fuel economy. Large car plus not so powerful engine and a cvt auto box, maybe if you drive extremely careful you can get few more mpg but not much of a difference. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links