Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant loss on 2008 Avensis TR D-4D 2ltr Diesel

Avensis_d4d

2 hours ago, Avensis_d4d said:

1) How do I know the car didn't have a new gasket earlier in its life, has the thickest gasket and can't be skimmed a second time? I'll be finding out after I've spent £££s.

Toyota say that AD series engines shouldn't be skimmed let alone twice ... (but, yes, we know that some people have had them skimmed apparently successfully) 

Hi

Now this is going to be blunt......get rid of the car now...... before it fully goes

I bought my 08 Auris in 2012 with 60,000 miles on it  - Had the same issues you had along with the temperature going up and going back down to normal when the thermostat opened

Took it to Toyota..... head gasket

Because of the complexity of the engine it's very difficult for a garage to just do a head gasket and it's normally cheaper having a replacement engine fitted

There is a technical bulletin from Toyota which covers cars that are up to 7 years old and under 160,000 KM - If you comply Toyota swaps the engine..... which they did on mine

Cost of the parts £2200 - Cost including labour £4600

Feel free to ask some questions........ It was quite stressful at the time as I thought I had lost everything

Cheers

£4600 sounds quite too much... 

In my case it took 16 hours labor and total cost €2550. Job done by Toyota dealer workshop and they gave 1 year warranty. My car is 2,0 MY12 face lift. Because of the face lift there was a little bit more costs than older engines. New water pump and new serpentine belt was installed too.

11 hours ago, Avensis_d4d said:

I'm willing to spend the price of another similar car to fix this one, but I want to be reasonably confident I'm going to come out of it with a working car.

How about getting a used engine that does not have that problem, and get it fitted to your car?

The price should be cheaper, and the engine can be inspected before installing.

Your old engine could then be sold for parts, reclaiming some of the cost.

Just throwing it out as an alternative, since you are willing to spend a lot on fixing a problem that has a high chance of repeating.

Other than that, i support stu_cole, get another car, the cost of fixing is too high, and you will always have that feeling in the back of your head :" What if it happens again..."

8 hours ago, avetoy said:

£4600 sounds quite too much... 

In my case it took 16 hours labor and total cost €2550. Job done by Toyota dealer workshop and they gave 1 year warranty. My car is 2,0 MY12 face lift. Because of the face lift there was a little bit more costs than older engines. New water pump and new serpentine belt was installed too.

In August 2013 the price for the parts only was £2677.42 + VAT £535.48 = £3212.90 (PARTS ONLY) - There would be labour to add to this - That's the price from Toyota's Warranty Invoice for the Work carried out at the Toyota Dealership in Loughborough

Avetoy's price doesn't sound bad in comparison...... I think you'd be better off get a replacement engine and having this fitted........ I've heard this suggestion from a few people and would probably be the recommended path if you wanted to keep the car

9 hours ago, avetoy said:

My car is 2,0 MY12 face lift. Because of the face lift there was a little bit more costs than older engines.

I would have thought possibly cheaper as it already should have had some of the upgraded parts installed compared to the earlier engines. 🤔

I was told the reason for higher price is that there are more sealants (o-rings etc...) to be replaced.

By the way my hg job was the first ever they had to do to face lift engine. And the failure spot was different than older D4D´s...

They gave me advice for the future: do not drive like grandfathers but push the pedal hard sometimes!

On 6/7/2019 at 6:25 PM, avetoy said:

I was told the reason for higher price is that there are more sealants (o-rings etc...) to be replaced.

By the way my hg job was the first ever they had to do to face lift engine. And the failure spot was different than older D4D´s...

They gave me advice for the future: do not drive like grandfathers but push the pedal hard sometimes!

I usually do short journeys but I did do a long journey yesterday which is probably not a long journey to most. But when the engine was warm i did full throttle a few times. The engine sound seems to sound better now. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links