Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo loud whining siren noise

James_Delahunt

Hey folks have loud turbo on 2008 2.0l d4d avensis some dirt probably hit the intake fins as clip from intake broke and sucked small dist particles from engine bay in causing it to make siren like loud whining noise i have a question to as how long the turbo will ladt whining as it is i have no power loss and car still pulls well most people i talked to said not to replace it just yet but to drive it on guy I know had same issue and drove his avensis until it went 

With a noise like that, it could also be the bearings on the way out, which wouldn't bode well for the remaining life of the turbo. I had a Citroen C5 and the turbo went, dumping lots of oil into the cooler, which increased the repair costs. I had sold it to a friend for scrap price as a project car for him. With that one, there was no indication that the turbo was dying. Do you want to go preventative maintenance which might be unnecessary, or drive it into the ground and risk possible extra damage/cost? Remember, the people telling you not to bother with a pre-emptive replacement are not the ones opening their wallet for this. Are you planning on changing it yourself or have someone else do it? If it is going to be a garage job I'd personally schedule it sooner, rather than after you get stranded on a motorway in a cloud of smoke. Maybe you will get lucky, driving it until it goes, or maybe you make your own luck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paul9 said:

With a noise like that, it could also be the bearings on the way out, which wouldn't bode well for the remaining life of the turbo. I had a Citroen C5 and the turbo went, dumping lots of oil into the cooler, which increased the repair costs. I had sold it to a friend for scrap price as a project car for him. With that one, there was no indication that the turbo was dying. Do you want to go preventative maintenance which might be unnecessary, or drive it into the ground and risk possible extra damage/cost? Remember, the people telling you not to bother with a pre-emptive replacement are not the ones opening their wallet for this. Are you planning on changing it yourself or have someone else do it? If it is going to be a garage job I'd personally schedule it sooner, rather than after you get stranded on a motorway in a cloud of smoke. Maybe you will get lucky, driving it until it goes, or maybe you make your own luck.

Hi paul i work in a garage myself and im a trainee technician i tried getting the turbo out myself i have a replacement turbo i checked the old turbo as regards bearings there was no real play as such but its moreso the fins on the intake that are damaged there was tiny tiny amount of oil residue in there but minimal as regards getting it out there was one bolt on the exhaust manifold which refused to come loose so i put wd40 on it tried it again still no luck then i tried and tried and tried with spanners sockets and the nut is damaged now rung off kind of then i heated it at least 3 times 15min intervals with has torch and beat it with chisel to try get it off still no luck i contacted my nearest dealer they quoted me 1500 euro incl labour for new turbo to be fitted but i dont see how they would be able to get the nut off when i work in a garage myself and still after trying very hard and multiple ideas still cant seem to get the nut off i wouldnt mind all the other nuts and bolts all came off bar that one real pain in the backside all seized and corroded i guess after all the car is 11 years old i was chatting some fellow mechanics today one suggested i use nitrogen freeze it  and then hit it another suggested i drill it???

I would probably decide to cut or torch it off. A little oil in the cold side of the turbo is probably from the pcv system. Don't bother with a catch can for it. It provides a little lubrication for the intake valves. If you know it is definitely the compressor vanes or the turbine blades making the noise, then you are likely to get a fair amount of further use out of the turbo as it is. Maybe check there aren't any broken bits in the intake or exhaust. Exhaust bolts are very often annoying like you have been finding out.

• Like 1