Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can I go fully synthetic?

ABToyota

I do about 4-5k miles a year. Last service was done about 9k miles ago but mechanic saying oil level is below the dipstick. So wouldn't the engine oil light come on?

That means I have used a full 5l can in 2 years even though I only drive 4-5k per year. 

I have always used Toyota own 5w30 oil even though on their website it states 0w20.

Now would changing to a fully synthetic oil be an improvement?

Don't think the Auris has an oil warning light.

• Like 1

So you check your oil every 2 years.???..... don't think that's good practice and is very risky.!

I use nothing BUT fully synthetic in our Toyotas'....and I check oil levels regularly...it takes but seconds to do.

• Like 2

I had an XJ6 that would use oil when filled with Semi but not full synthetic, Whether the same would be true for the Auris I don't know, but I've been using full in my Avensis for 8 years and over 100k miles and it's never used a drop as far as I know. The difference in price isn't great either.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Auris might not have an oil light, but i guess if there was any warning, it would show up on the display.

Petrol engines do consume oil, my  current and previous car were both 1.6 and both consumed around 1l per 10k km, or a bit more if you do more highway driving.

Considering you did 9k miles, the oil consumed in your case was normal, it should be below the dipstick, but not too much.

I think the difference between low and full on 1.6 Auris are around 1.2 liters, so if we do the math, using average consumption of 1l per 10k km, you car used around 1.4, which would bring it below the dipstick.

You can fill up the car with oil slowly, to see how much it used.

• Like 1

I have had a look at the manual, the V5 and the car engine - but which type of engine is it.

first registered april 2009

Auris 1.6 TR VVT-I

V5: ZRE151(H)

Engine block : 1Zr - E12U

Manual: 1ZR-FE

Can this engine use 0w30 Fully synthetic

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/980aa2431

Which is a COMMA 5W30 FS XTECH

But it states its for Fords but does say API - SL

GSF is the nearest to me thats why I chose them first.

According to the manual, you can use 5W30, as lont as the API grade is SL or SM (i guess you can even use SN as it's newer technology meant for older cars, and was not around when the car was made)

image.thumb.png.3f430a419bf5c085bf94bb1fe403f7c2.png

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Thank you. The GSF price is somehow inflated they are running a discount so the 5l comma 5w30 fs xtech is £19.

Not sure what the difference between?the one I posted and the one you posted above is. Re the comma ones.

Hi, do you change your oil every 2 years or every year? If you don’t change every 12 months no matter how many miles you drive than you are risking to sludge your engine, get piston rings stuck and increased  oil consumption. Fill in quality full synthetic oil and genuine filter or exactly same equivalent within manufacturer specs . You can also do an engine flush if the old oil is too dark and contaminated but this is up to you. 

Regards 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, do you change your oil every 2 years or every year? If you don’t change every 12 months no matter how many miles you drive than you are risking to sludge your engine, get piston rings stuck and increased  oil consumption. Fill in quality full synthetic oil and genuine filter or exactly same equivalent within manufacturer specs . You can also do an engine flush if the old oil is too dark and contaminated but this is up to you. 

Regards 

Thank you for this. I was always under the impression you do your oil change every 10k or 2yrs whichever is the soonest. The car only for school run and odd shopping trip. 

Toyota service intervals should be every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Modern oils are formulated to resist sludging but yes you should be changing the oil per the manufacturers recommendations using the recommended grade. Checking the oil is s different matter. Low oil level is still the most common cause of catastrophic engine failure. Put simply, by the time the oil pressure light is on, it's too late. If you have an oil level indicator these are a help but aren't infallible. If you have a dipstick, take a few minutes a week, if you've driven the car, or each month if you don't drive many miles, and check all the fluid levels, tyres, wipers etc. It's part of the training for any advanced driving qualification.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well even in your case with limited miles per year oil change can even be at 6 months intervals but never more than 12, using the car for a short trips - school runs, shopping in town it’s not great for the engine. If it’s me I will use only full synthetic 0w20 and change every 6-12 months, it’s relatively cheap to do oil changes. My choice  for oil is Petronas 0w20, it’s cheap and it’s good too. Been using that oil in winter short drives and in extremely hot for prolonged motorway journeys and no problems at all, no consumption as well, nothing after 10k miles, not even a drop add to the engine. I change mine every two months, driving a lot, and use genuine Toyota filters. Every second change I do engine flush too. 

17 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Well even in your case with limited miles per year oil change can even be at 6 months intervals but never more than 12, using the car for a short trips - school runs, shopping in town it’s not great for the engine. If it’s me I will use only full synthetic 0w20 and change every 6-12 months, it’s relatively cheap to do oil changes. My choice  for oil is Petronas 0w20, it’s cheap and it’s good too. Been using that oil in winter short drives and in extremely hot for prolonged motorway journeys and no problems at all, no consumption as well, nothing after 10k miles, not even a drop add to the engine. I change mine every two months, driving a lot, and use genuine Toyota filters. Every second change I do engine flush too. 

Is that Petronas for newer hybrid engines - I have an older 1.6 petrol vvti engine.

Then if fully synthetic is better why does my Toyota dealership always recommend 5w30 semi synthetic?

Yes it’s good. They generally use 5w30 semi synthetic because of the cheaper price and higher margins to them. It’s ok to continue with 5w30 as long as you change it max 12 months, if you go fully synthetic it’s even better protection for your engine, but again do not leave any oil in the engine for longer than manufacturer recommend. 

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

Yes it’s good. They generally use 5w30 semi synthetic because of the cheaper price and higher margins to them. It’s ok to continue with 5w30 as long as you change it max 12 months, if you go fully synthetic it’s even better protection for your engine, but again do not leave any oil in the engine for longer than manufacturer recommend. 

Thanks.

I am going for a fully synthetic oil that is either 0w20 or 5w30 with API SM or SN. Frosty has linked to that Petronas Syntium and I am trying to find it locally rather than wait to have it delivered, if not then I might go for Comma brand oil.

Change yearly. Any 5W-30 or 0w-20 (fully or semi-synth) will be just fine. Just make sure its SL or SM or SN spec.  The brand doesn't matter so long as it meets the spec.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is just silly.

Frosty kindly linked to some Petronas oil available on Amazon sold by EuroCarparts for £22.99 delivered. On EuroCarparts website its £60.99 with a discount today to make it £39.66. On their eBay shop its £22.99. 

Then Carparts4less is selling it for £18.69 on eBay. Now Carparts4less is a trading name of Euro Car Parts - it states that on their website. 

It makes no sense. 

• Like 1

Just buy from carparts4less through eBay for £18.69 this is where I am getting mine, delivery is 3 days max with dhl 

1 hour ago, ABToyota said:

This is just silly.

Frosty kindly linked to some Petronas oil available on Amazon sold by EuroCarparts for £22.99 delivered. On EuroCarparts website its £60.99 with a discount today to make it £39.66. On their ebay shop its £22.99. 

Then Carparts4less is selling it for £18.69 on ebay. Now Carparts4less is a trading name of Euro Car Parts - it states that on their website. 

It makes no sense. 

Yes I noticed that too when I bought some 0w20 recently! I just went for the cheapest and it was delivered within about 2 days. 

10 hours ago, ABToyota said:

This is just silly.

Frosty kindly linked to some Petronas oil available on Amazon sold by EuroCarparts for £22.99 delivered. On EuroCarparts website its £60.99 with a discount today to make it £39.66. On their ebay shop its £22.99. 

Then Carparts4less is selling it for £18.69 on ebay. Now Carparts4less is a trading name of Euro Car Parts - it states that on their website. 

It makes no sense. 

ECP and CP4L are now owned by LKQ Corp (a big US corporation) - some of their pricing is just crazy.

Ughh so I decided to get some 0w20 fully syntheitc APi: SN from a local independent dealer and took it down to a mechanic and he said it would be bad for my engine as my engine is used to semi 5w30 and the synthetic will move past the seals used to a thicker oil leading to more oild burn or leaks.

I am now back where I started from and just as confused.

It's an 09 Auris 1.6 VVTI with 66k miles. I have in the last four years of ownership only every used 5w30 semi from Toyota.

Why not ask your Toyota dealer for their opinion on 5w-30 v 0w-20 and semi syn v full syn. Hopefully they would know best from their experience.

25 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Why not ask your Toyota dealer for their opinion on 5w-30 v 0w-20 and semi syn v full syn. Hopefully they would know best from their experience.

I did and the service mechanic said 5w30 even though it states 0w20 in the manual - he said 5w30 semi is best, but after reading they tend to recommend that because they possibly make better margins on it.

What's the worst that can happen if I go fully synthetic 0w20? Will my engine have a failure or just run poorly which I can then fix by swapping back to 5w30?