Do Not Sell My Personal Information

17" tyre as a spare

Shavestick

Hi,

Just traded in my 2009 Kia C'eed for a 2010 Avensis Tourer 1.8 and I have a couple of questions.

A) The Avensis is riding on 215/55/R17 though at least two of the alloy wheels have some rust bubbles developing and the tyres are just about passing MOT.

If I am to order a new set of Alloys+tyres from MyTyres or other should I go for the 16"? I hear that there is some improvement in ride quality or is it an overkill and the difference in insignificant? 

B) I have a spare new tyre from the C'eed (245/40/17) will it make a better spare wheel instead of the space saver if I mount it on a 17" steel rim?

Thank you

Hi Danny, welcome to TOC 🙂

First off for either question contact uour insurer & see what their position would be if you change for either of your suggestions.

You could of course get the existing alloys refinished. If your spare tyre from the KIA is still on a wheel you could probably reuse that simpy by using a bore/spigot adapter. However, hopefully your spare is rarely needed & then only very temporarily so personally I probably wouldn't bother.

• Like 1

I would get the existing wheels refurbished and stick with the same tyre size. I bought a secondhand wheel so I had a fifth alloy, though it is a different colour.of the same design. It came in handy a few times, when I had to wait a couple of days for a replacement tyre. Anything is better than the space saver that comes with the car.
A full size wheel fits without the tool tray. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, some good ideas here, is refinishing alloys is something done by a special shop or is it a job any body shop can do? Sorry never seen rust on alloys before, this my 5th Toyota and it was never an issue.

I still to pay the full balance this weekend when I give the dealer my Kia, should I ask them to sort it before paying in full? It is really the only fault on the Avensis after the standard 100 points check and a fresh MOT (decent local garage) which is great for a 100k car in my book.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

the dealer will probably have a local contractor that they use for having alloys refinished so certainly worth asking them. 

the dealer will probably have a local contractor that they use for having alloys refinished so certainly worth asking them. 
You are on the money, phoned up and they Indeed get their 'alloys guy' every week or so. They will fix the issue FOC before or shortly after we pick up the car.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 1