Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Condition Info

rockeRRR

Hi,

I own a Toyoto Avensis T27 from 2010 and at a routine service check the technician told me that the pressure level in the air condition is too high, around 18bar.

But everything is working super OK, super chill and ice if necessary.

Does anybody know what is the normal pressure level?

Thank you in advance.

I am really surprised that at a routine service the refrigerent pressure is checked in the air con. It looks to me like a garage looking for some work. If you have had the car 9 years, have you just had the aircon serviced, otherwise why not picked up before. Fishy!

• Like 1

I have the car only for 4 years. I did not believe the technician but I also did not found any spec about whats the optimal value...

18 bar is about 270psi and if that is the pressure on the high side that would be high and could do with reducing for best efficiency. There should be a sticker on the underside of your bonnet that specifies the pressures.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Just done a quick search on the internet, asked a general question "what pressure does a air con unit in a car run at". Answer came back indicated 75-100 PSI (thats about 5-6.2 bar.

In the UK the air con isn't part of the routine servicing regime.

However, as you're not in the UK and depending what country you reside in, I suppose your dealer network may include some form of check, especially if average temperatures are higher than here.

Does the importer or dealer supply any information as to what is included in the service schedules?

12 hours ago, rockeRRR said:

...the technician told me that the pressure level in the air condition is too high, around 18bar...

I assume engine was running with a/c on...

What was the ambition temperature back then?

Presumably the radiator/condensor cooling fan is operating? Have you looked to see if the condensor is obstructed in any way? Leaves, insects, bent/corroded fins, general rubbish etc.?

It usually sits in front of the engine cooling water radiator so more vulnerable to blockage of air passage. However, if blocked could restrict air to radiator and cause some engine overheat which is not mentioned.

You don't say what the low side/suction pressure is. e.g. possibly a partially blocked or inoperative expansion valve.

Or just simply - overcharged.

Definitely too high.  Overcharged most likely, but need to look at low side pressures and general operation to be able to diagnose. Don't leave it......

Whilst I'm sure different manufacturers have different pressure specs, there are general ac pressure charts published and according to this 18 bar (or about 261 psi) would be within spec for an ambient temperature of 32C/90F:

http://rechargeac.com/how-to/ac-system-pressure-chart

If the AC performance is 'better' than expected:

But everything is working super OK, super chill and ice if necessary

it may be possible that the AC has been serviced in the past and a 'slot in' refrigerant used i.e. not R134A (I'm assuming R134A for a 2010 model) which can, at least outwardly give impressive results.

9 hours ago, avetoy said:

I assume engine was running with a/c on...

What was the ambition temperature back then?

Yes. It was around 25 Celsius.

6 hours ago, mrpj said:

Presumably the radiator/condensor cooling fan is operating? Have you looked to see if the condensor is obstructed in any way? Leaves, insects, bent/corroded fins, general rubbish etc.?

You would be better check the condenser and clean it if possible. And check the fan(s) too. Cleaning may be difficult but there is some chemical (foam) meant for condensers. ZEP Foaming Coil Cleaner for example...

Or maybe there is just too much refrigerant?

It should be taken all away and put back just the right amount. About 400 g (there is a sticker somewhere)?

Anyway, it is not good to have so high pressure in 25 C.