Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just bought another Toyota....Lots of questions :)

toyotathebest

Hi guys. 

Thank you for an informative and wonderful forum.  I've always been a big fan of Toyota and have recently I've bought a Toyota Corolla Verso 2.2 T180 (2006).  Lovely car with low mileage for it's age and a basic dvd player/rear headrest tv screens for the kids.  I know it's a bit on the old side, but I got it for it's reliability.

I've a lot of questions regarding different things, but lets start off with the first one.

1. I'm not exactly chuffed with the current car stereo and the fact it's got an old dvd player for rear screens, so can I change the system to a better one? If so, what can you recommend? 

• I haven't got a big budget (approx £200-£300) and don't mind getting a used item or a chinese make if needed. 
  • Can I fit any double-din?
  • Would I need any special brackets, fascias, wire adapters?
  • I need preferably some sort of android stereo and if possible change from the old dvd player system to a usb/sd card/bluetooth type of system for the rear tv screens.
  • If possible a rear-camera/parking system.
  • If changing dvd player/system to a usb/sd-card/bluetooth is possible, would I need to also change the rear headrest screens?

I look forward to any help and recommendations 😊

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the warm welcome 😊

I'm a bit disheartened that there has been no reply to my questions.  I'm hoping someone will get back to me soon...

Good question.  Any ICE shops around where you live?  Years ago things were simpler took many a new car to upgrade with Speakers and amps.  Miss those days 

Hi catnash. 

Unfortunately there's no ICE shops around here. 

The only places are online as far as I know. 

I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance on how to do the above. 

If you join the owners forums you get 15% off accessories at Halfords.  You could see what they have?  Nothing beats an upgraded car Speakers and an amplifier...

Your right, I could certainly look into this, but firstly I need to figure out how to swap the toyota stereo, which types can fit it and whether it can support rear cameras. 

Anyone?????  Should I post these questions in a different part of the forum?  Response seems to be very slow ☹️

Moved to the Corolla club for more responses.

Might be a help to know which country you reside in - currently your profile is showing 'Other/non-UK. Bear in mind the club is UK based and membership is largely from the UK

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Moved to the Corolla club for more responses.

Might be a help to know which country you reside in - currently your profile is showing 'Other/non-UK. Bear in mind the club is UK based and membership is largely from the UK

Thanks very much for moving my topic.  I thought there was no-one around 🤣

Sorry about the incorrect profile.  I've now corrected it and can confirm that I'm definitely from UK. 

I'm just shocked at some of the youtube videos....I never knew that I could actually replace the crappy stereo with a google nexus tablet:

Hi,

You will find some of the online ICE shops like this one a good place to look and buy, used them myself.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?cat=&q=toyota+corolla+verso

As you will see from that Accessories  page they have a variety of fitting for the Verso, but do double check they are for your exact model.

You will have to check if the steering wheel controls can be used via an adapter as they are not compatible with none Toyota head units.

Have not been in a Verso but assume your radio will also show mgp figures etc and they will be lost , as there is no conversion for that function.

Sound wise, replacing the front Speakers will give you a really big improvement, as I did , also fitting some with separate tweeters at dash level.

There have been quiet a lot of posts about fitting new head units, though mainly the standard Corolla, but if you search this forum you will find some details, hopefully of help.

• Like 1

Thanks very much oldcodger (should I be calling you that? 😋) .  It's not the stereo that shows the mpg on mine as these are on the dash.  It would be great if I could have steering controls, but not the end of the world if these were not possible...so long as the stereo has good features.

I think I've pretty much figured out how to remove the headunit using youtube videos like THIS (BTW, that is exactly my version of verso, except everything is the opposite).

I could do with a lot of assistance in helping me decide the right/recommended equipment.  I would be very grateful if someone could help me with the following important questions:

• Can any double-din stereo fit, so long I get the correct facia?
  • What stereo can you recommend? i.e. I'm looking for a stereo which in order of priority has:
    1. radio/bluetooth/video/usb,
    2. handsfree-phone system,
    3. front/rear cameras for parking assistance (Although I could get one of them rear-view mirror cameras instead)
    4. sat-nav,
    5. steering controllable
  • What accessories/adapters would I need to make sure it works and fits perfectly?
  • What can I do for the rear headrest tv screens? i.e I need a bluetooth/usb replacement for the old dvd player if possible.

Thanks again

If no one offers any specific help, think you need to look around those online places in more detail.

This page shows Verso specific adapters  -http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/install-adaptors?cat=1060

This one of 5 pages of double Din units with all the bells etc  http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units?cat=63

As well as speaking direct to CAD you might find checking out the Connect2 site to ensure their adapters will work ok - they should know !

Single Din and Double Din is an industry wide fitment standard .

As for  options 1 to 5  , you gets what you pays for, or buy a far east cheapy with no realistic warranty.

Don't forget sound the is only as good as the Speakers, I replaced mine with some Pioneers, such an improvement I did not bother changing the head unit.

As for the rear screens, never read about doing anything with them, but again, search all the Toyota forums to see if anything shows up anything.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the detailed information.

So long as I can fit any double din stereo, then I'm happy with that. 

I know what you're saying mate about if no one replies, that I need to look around, but if I don't know what I'm looking for and I need to make sure if the parts actually fit. 

For example the rear screens... what resolutions can they handle?

Would say the best way would be to select one or two head units that meet you needs /price range then find out whats needed to connect them all up.

Toyota have there own wiring standard so you need various adapters so check out with the makers and suppliers to confirm what they have that works/fits  .eg.  -

http://connects2.com/

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/contact-us

A simple search on these forums shows the odd verso din unit  - see the last entry to this one   and search yourself for any more.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/111229-2002-corolla-verso-double-din-install/?tab=comments#comment-1007047

Cannot help with the rear screens but again try the 'Search' box above.   - being 13 year old tech, which is very old in that sense, doubt you can do much with them other than replace with modern new aftermaket ones.

• Like 1

Thanks very much mate. 

I've just spoken to CAD. They are going to email me with their stereo recommendations as well as the list of facias/adapters. 

I know you said you can't help much with the headrest screens and dvd player due to their age, but can you point me to any aftermarket products/headrest media players? I've got black leather seats and need to find some decent players to replace mine. 

8 minutes ago, toyotathebest said:

Thanks very much mate. 

I've just spoken to CAD. They are going to email me with their stereo recommendations as well as the list of facias/adapters. 

I know you said you can't help much with the headrest screens and dvd player due to their age, but can you point me to any aftermarket products/headrest media players? I've got black leather seats and need to find some decent players to replace mine. 

Good that you have got the ball rolling with CAD. but do get other quote /suggestions from the other big online car audio places,  to mention just one -

eg https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/

Cannot help with the rear screens, never used them , but again  a Google search should bring some info /help   -

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/products/products-in-car-headrest-dvd-player-head-to-head-review/

• Like 1

@Heidfirst - Thanks very much for the links to the ICE system and the forum link talking about dvd players.  Funny enough, I've already viewed both...the ICE manual has been provided to me by the previous owner.  The problem I have is that there is no info on what spec the LCD screens are? What resolution or format can they handle?  Once I know this, then at least I'll be able to find the correct type of media player.

@oldcodger - Thanks again.  In all honesty, the CAC suppliers are very expensive.  But they are useful in gauging what's available for the vehicle.  The problem with the dvd player link you've provided mate, is that they are portable screens, whereas I either want to use the existing screens, built into the headrests or possibly buy new headrests.  Let's be honest, dvd is well out of date - nowadays it's either usb/sd card, wifi, bluetooth and this is what I'm aiming to setup.

only info on resolution that I could find was  >500 lines.

It wasn't just for a new DVD player but apparently you can connect other media devices via the sockets in the rear console. With any luck your media device may automatically configure to the screens abilities?

Have you thought of getting e.g. a couple of Amazon Fire HD 7" or 8" tablets. That would run £100-150 & probably have much improved res. plus of course they could watch different things at the same time.

How would I be able to fit a 7" or 8" tablet to the headrest though?  I don't think the ugly mounts would look nice and I would prefer a permanent fixture to the headrest if possible.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links