Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 reversing sensors......help!

DickSnow

Just taken ownership of D4-D XT-r, really liking it!

Fitting towbar, all going good, bar on, bumper refitted and yet to do electrics.

However - issue - replacing bumper, reconnected plug for rear sensors, but every time I engage reverse get about 5 seconds of intermittent beep, then followed by another deeper beep tone, continual, that stops after another 5 / 10 seconds. Reverse sensors not functioning when reversing up to garage door now!

Thought it might be the fixed swan-neck towbar hitch fitted, so dropped the hitch off, but still getting the same noises when engaging gear. and nothing in front of rear bumper.

Is this a fault condition on self-test / start up? Any ideas what might be the cause?

Attached video plays sound when reverse engaged.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

I had a problem with my 2012 Reg Rav4. It turned out to be water ingress in sensors which froze in winter making them think there was something behind. Cleared as ice melted. When investigating this I found that if you had a towbar fitted, in order to eliminate the warning going off when towing, you could get a switch fitted to switch off the sensors. This is not fitted to all but an option. Don'tknow if this helps but if it does goodluck.

Given you’ve had the bumper off, i’m going with a loose connection or you’ve pushed a sensor in.

As a side note any reversing sensor kit worth using should be ‘intelligent’ which in simple terms means it’s capable of recognising and ignoring objects they remain a constant distance from the sensor when others move, eg tow bars and spare wheel covers, this is especially relevant to RAV’s with rear mounted spare wheels.

Thanks all, yes, after taking the bumper cover off again and reseating all sensor connectors, all back to normal and working!

Added a camera as well while I was in there, trouble with that is it plays 180 reversed, ground is sky! The joys of cheap Amazon goods!

As far as the car, loving it! Will be interesting to see what it does to the gallon after dripping fuel tan filler gets changed tomorrow!

Can you turn the camera upside-down?

By any chance is it a camera on a bracket that could have rotated in transit? This is generally why you test them before installing.

Tried that

!IMG_20190614_112312.thumb.jpg.5b29d725c7a11512a4f17a806e1cf46f.jpg

Unfortunately it mounts one way only, inverted 180 get a lovely view of the clouds! Lens is angled at 45 from horizontal, and is not adjustable.

Nice man from the east has agreed to send a replacement, we'll see if that';s any better!

Looks like most cheap ones have a vire loop on the wiring harness, if image is reversed then cut loop and will correcvt, this one has no such loop so must be a production issue, wait and see what comes when replacement fitted!.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links