Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Valve lifters Mk II VVTi 2002 120,000 miles.

stevepoppop

Hi Guys

Just changed the trailing arm bushes for MOT in August. Long job lying on the ground!!

Anyway, after being idle for c5 weeks it started with a lot of rattle and clatter!  After about 5 mins sounded fine but its been a bit "chattery" for a while. Guess the valves will be worn after this number of miles.  

I think Im ok, having read  the manuals regarding how to measure and replace lifters if necessary. Anyone who has done it have any advice or pointers?  Given the number of possible sizes required, can anyone advise where they can be purchased, and some idea of cost.? Ive seen  adverts for valve lifter liquid treatment, I guess its a bit like engine flush  -  any use to try first, for an easy fix?

Many thanks

Steve

The valve lifters are available from Toyota in 8 thicknesses - around £6 each last time I bought some. Unless the clearances are way out - I wouldn't bother - most Ravs with this sort of mileage have top end clatter when cold. I haven't tried on this engine but it may be possible to extract and refit the lifters without removing the camshafts. Valve lifter additive often works on hydraulic tappets but on conventional tappets - the additive is just a viscosity enhancer that may well do more harm than good to other components. As well as valve clearances - the timing chain on this engine can clatter after high mileage until the tensioner and slipper get a good coating of oil.

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. You have kind of confirmed my thoughts. A lot of effort, which may not be necessary, as once it "warms" it sounds not too bad!

I didn't realise, having read the manuals that there were only 8 thicknesses, from the tables there seems to be a variety of sizes Numbered from c.22 - 77!?  The number required being selected based on the measurements.  You've confirmed my own feeling of sticking liquid solutions into the engine!

Wondering if it would be worthwhile getting a "professional" opinion and asking the garage for a valve clearance check. 

Appreciate the feedback.

Steve

Better they are too slack than too tight. Although a bit clattery it doesn't normally make much difference to the running of the engine unless that are WAY out.  Going up a grade in oil may quieten them (5W40 or 10W40).

That's an easy try.  I do change oil/filter very regularly, but have always used the 5/30 recommended stuff.

Thanks.

Steve

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links