Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 & 4.3 Flip Fob - Sick of replacing cracked fobs? Read on.

Avalon

It’s fair to say that the fob design for the 4.2 and 4.3 sucked, Toyota tried to address it with the change in plastic on the 4.3, but the same is true of most Toyota/Lexus remote fobs of the same vintage. The plastic loop for the split ring cracks, the joint where the blade is set into the Shell cracks and eventually you have to replace the Shell and have a new blade cut. Unfortunately you’ll have the same issue again in x years.

The solution is cheap, inexpensive and Chinese, it also reduces the risk of getting holes in your pocket/purse.

Go on eBay/Amazon etc. and spend £3-4ish on a flip key conversion kit. This looks similar to your average VW flip key and comes with a blank blade. Take it and your existing key to Timpsons and hand over £10 (other key places should be £5 ish) and they’ll cut the replacement blade to match in a matter of minutes. After that undo the screw on your existing fob, the two screws on the new fob and pop the remote out, place it into the new Shell and replace the two screws. Congratulations, you now have a significantly stronger/durable and more pocket friendly flip fob that’s better than Toyota’s design.

kvHHquv.jpg

I’ve done a few now, the only issue is in some of the 4.2’s the ignition pickup coil doesn’t register the fob and intermittently won’t disarm the immobiliser, the trick to this is to use a pin to remove the IMMO chip (it just slides out the side on the 4.2 fob) and use a dab of glue to place it on the edge closest to the ignition when the key is used as per the pic.

3oIjKP1.jpg 

Hopefully this is of use to someone, I have lost track of the number of Toyota fob’s i’ve replaced in the last 14 years due to cracking, this design works so much more effectively. It also works for any other compatible Toyota key of a similar vintage and other versions are available for the 4.3 and later.

Have a look at eBay item number:

I have done loads of them just flick out the chip and insides stick the bits in new fob, local market cuts for £2.50p they don't crack anymore...

Is that the right number - doesn't work for me?

Yes it works OK my end try this

Fits Toyota Avensis Camry Corolla RAV4 2 button remote key fob repair case Shell

I just flick out the transponder chip sometimes they can be well stuck so you can break the old key to get it out it's no problem, if you do a proper search on eBay you will find ones with the Toyota emblem on. bought some recently and they were gen Toyota/Denso.

Thanks - worked this morning 😎

TBH I prefer the flip option, for the extra few pence. Even ignoring the material/design advantages and the not being stabbed in the leg/holes in the pocket points... flip keys don’t look like they belong in the 90’s. Besides, I have tried some of the improved clone shells with mixed results.

The blade cutting point is interesting though, I have my key code which allows me to have a blade cut by number by an auto locksmith, most normal key places on the high street aren’t set-up to do this, so it’s jigged (or put simply: traced from the original key blade). I used to run a company that did mechanical engraving amongst many other things as many independent key/cobbler places do, as such I know my local guy quite well as we shared suppliers for many years and both have common history in the motor trade and a I have a habit of bringing him interesting high security locks to cut blanks for. As the RAV OE Shell is curved, he can’t run a clean pass on the jig other than on an angle, which means the blank will be cut on an angle, which isn’t something i’d suggest is a good idea and certainly not something that will end well if you need a copy of a copy made as the results just get worse and worse. The solution ideal is to destroy the old fob to get the blade out so it will sit flat, while I personally have no problem at all doing that as a I know I have options, Timpson’s tend to run newer jigs and are slightly better suited to curved fob bodies. Either way £2.50 is cheap and my guy is honest enough to tell me to go and be ripped off by his competition when it’s in my best interest 😉

Don't know why being curved would make a difference, but my local market keyman does not have any expensive cutters just stick in the old key and cuts the new one, the only problem I have is the transponder chip can be glued in and is awkward to get out but they are really strong. I have also seen silicon cover for 99p these look great and cover the cracks available in loads of colours